Weekly planner / editable masterpage item / scrapbook items

Previous topic - Next topic

Ewac

Hello.
I'm planning on making a calendar / weekly planner and would like some input for the set up. Each week will be on a set of facing pages and the general layout will be the same for each week. I would want to use a master page for that basic setup, but that will not allow me to edit the text boxoes individually (as the name of the month, dates, holiday names, inspirational quote etc. need to differ for each page).
Making one set and then using copy and paste for the rest would make later edits related to size and position difficult, because I would have to repeat it for each week individually.
In other post where people were asking about editable masterpage items, I saw prelies refer to scrapbook, patterns or variable text marks as solutions. However, I have not found many instructions on how to use them and what I have tried to figure out on my own doesn't work for my case. Using those will allow me to change the text for each instance of the mark or pattern, but size and position of the text frame do not update uniformly. For my project I need the size and position of the elements to be uniform (and edits apply to all object) while the content text can be edited individually.

Nermander

As far as I know what you want is not easily done with Scribus today, the most viable option is probably to use a script to generate the pages. There are a few calendar generators out there that you can probably use as a starting point.

mnawij

Hiya Ewac,

Not sure but something like this? I put this together for a teacher calendar. (you might not have all of the fonts, but you will get the idea) If anyone else would like to use the template, I have no problem. [made with Scribus v 1.5.8]

Cheers!

mnawij

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ewac

Quote from: Nermander on July 30, 2022, 05:57:29 PM
As far as I know what you want is not easily done with Scribus today, the most viable option is probably to use a script to generate the pages. There are a few calendar generators out there that you can probably use as a starting point.

Thank you, at least I now know that I'm not missing anything.

Ewac

Quote from: mnawij on July 31, 2022, 04:11:12 AM
Hiya Ewac,

Not sure but something like this? I put this together for a teacher calendar. (you might not have all of the fonts, but you will get the idea) If anyone else would like to use the template, I have no problem. [made with Scribus v 1.5.8]

Cheers!

mnawij

Hey, this looks nice! Well done.
What you did with the master pages is what I will go for as well. However, I was hoping there would be a way to "connect" the text boxes for the name of the month, for example, so that if you wanted to change the positon of the name of the months, you could do that once and all the other ones would follow on their respective pages.

mnawij

Hi Ewac,

Non static items are not usually included on master pages items, even in InDesign. I do like how InDesign allows you to overide individual master/parent pages but once you do that it is no longer a master page (and you lose the benefit of moving items as one that you mentioned), but it does allow you to modify the items on that page. That is why you see the months created separately from the master pages in my sample. But I could make changes to the days of the week, color, fonts, etc.. on the master pages of my calendar.

Cheers!

mnawij