Evaluating Scribus for a particular use case

Previous topic - Next topic

leahthehunter

Hi! I am creating a series of inspirational books -- gift book size,  5 X 5 or possibly 5 X 7, with very little text and an image on full color every other page.

I have read some of the forums and I am familiar with the (very) basics of Scribus.

My questions:
1. With an image-heavy book, is there anything I should know or look out for before I begin?
2. Are there particular fonts / font sets that work well with Scribus or do not work at all?
3. Can I effectively design a cover in Scribus? Or use something like Canva to create a flat image and then import it?
4. I am considering a square book format (the 5 X 5 inch option above). Will that even work using this software? Or does the book have to be rectangular and vertically oriented, since that seems to be how the pages are set up?

Thanks so much!!!

Leah

RodneyLee

1. will depend on computer memory, you might want to  break the book layout up into sections with, say 10 pages each, depending on image resolution and memory
2. most likely, sorry I don't know specifics
3. YES, Scribus is a Layout/design tool (I would not try to paint a picture using Scribus)
4. Scribus can layout any shape book you want, just make sure your printer/publisher can handle it

leahthehunter

Thank you so much, Rodney!! I appreciate the reply.