Using INDD files

Previous topic - Next topic

scribnewbie

Sorry for this beginner problem, but I am a real beginner.
My publisher requires me to use an indd file as a template for a book cover.
Since I am not a professional I would hate to purchase inDesign just for this one book cover. I searched in this forum and read that Scribus 1.5 can import these files. So I installed Scribus 1.5 in Windows 10 but it refuses to open my indd file. Apparently it needs the indd file to be converted to IDML or IDMS format first.

How do I convert my indd file to IDML or IDMS format without owning inDesign - which defeats the purpose?

Can Scribus files be imported into indd format for my publisher?

mnawij

Hello scribnewbie,

IMDL is still in the testing phase for Scribus, so it might not convert perfectly. Adobe was offering 30 day free trial but you do have to remember to cancel! Or you could take the indd to a printshop and ask them how much to collect all the images and copy the text out to a txt file for you. Not sure if there is any online free conversion sites.

Cheers!
mnawij

AdmFubar

Possible solution, ask the publisher if they can convert that template for you. They might have the tool to do it.also there is this
https://markzware.com/markztools/batch-convert-indesign-to-idml-without-indesign-installed-markztools2/There are several sites that also convert to PDF. How well they can do it is debatable.Have you searched for the template in the desired format? It might be available.

Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

scribnewbie

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

I was aware of the possibility of using a trial version of inDesign but was hoping Script was a possible alternative. Unfortunately it looks like Adobe has too tight a control of the market. So I will go the trial route.

Thank you again for clarifying things.