Scribusoid

Author Topic: Hypenation not working - dictionaries lost  (Read 314 times)

staz9653

• Scribus User
Hypenation not working - dictionaries lost
« on: May 22, 2022, 07:30:58 pm »
Hi,

I recently changed my computer's OS to Debian 11, and re-installed Scribus (1.5.6 apparantely).
All well except hypenation -- it's simply not working. I work with the Finnish language, I have downloaded everything related (Voikko) to the computer.
But it seems I don't have ANY hypenation dictionaries in /usr/share/scribus -folder. None, not even English.

Where can I download them or is there another way to make this work? I often work with long texts so I simply can not hypenate everything by hand.

toyotadesigner

• Active Scribus Mac User
    • architectural, industrial and business photographer
Re: Hypenation not working - dictionaries lost
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 04:56:40 pm »
In macOS the hyphenation dictionaries are located in the Scribus application container.

However, I tried to use the hyphenation for a 30 page document and had to confirm or modify all instances, which is a no-go for me. There was no difference between the English and German version, it forced me to »ok« every single word.
Nur wenige wissen, wie viel man wissen muss, um zu wissen, wie wenig man weiss.
Only few know how much you have to know to know how little you know.
Sólo unos pocos saben lo mucho que hay que saber para saber lo poco que se sabe.

— Werner Heisenberg [German theoretical physicist]

nanni

• Scribus User
Re: Hypenation not working - dictionaries lost
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 04:34:50 am »
I just copy the hyphenation dictionaries from LibreOffice and put them in the usr>share>scribus>dicts>hyph.

If one version of Scribus does not have Dicts and Hyph folders (like, Scribus 1.5.7), you'll need to create these two folders.

palmate