Author Topic: Extreme slowness when deleting pages/text  (Read 262 times)

Akiros

• Scribus User
Extreme slowness when deleting pages/text
« on: May 18, 2022, 11:37:14 am »
Hello everyone,  I'm working on a document of around 120 pages which consists of images and text. I have automatic pagination and page references all over the document.
At the moment when I need to delete a page it will currently take 10 to 15 minutes to load. This is quite extreme and makes my work way too long.
Deleting single text frames also take a bit of time (1 or 2 minute, something like that), my text are not linked and were all created through the scribus text editor. Deleting images is fine.

I don't really know what to do, I thought it might be related to the fact that everytime I delete a page, all of my automatic page references need to check their current page number. Is there a way to disable it for a moment and then make it load manually ? Or is there a workaround this problem that would let me delete pages fast ?

Thanks to anyone who might help.

System info :

PC : Ryzen 4800H - GTX 1650 - 8GB RAM - SSD
Scribus 1.5.7

toyotadesigner

• Active Scribus Mac User
    • architectural, industrial and business photographer
Re: Extreme slowness when deleting pages/text
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 12:53:08 pm »
I never used page references, so I don't know their function.

However, 8 GB RAM seems a bit too little for Scribus and a 120-page document. In addition, the workflow I learned decades ago was different:

01. Typesetting (writing text)
02. Text layout
03. Add images
04. Edit until you have the final version
05. Add any references

My experience: Scribus works best if you follow the logical (and old fashioned) workflow.

Nur wenige wissen, wie viel man wissen muss, um zu wissen, wie wenig man weiss.
Only few know how much you have to know to know how little you know.
Sólo unos pocos saben lo mucho que hay que saber para saber lo poco que se sabe.

— Werner Heisenberg [German theoretical physicist]

palmate