All attempts to open PDFs fail

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Rat

I've been trying to use Scribus to be able to edit a bunch of InDesign documents I created more than a decade ago. I have all of them as PDFs, version 1.4, but Scribus can't open any of them.

Here is the console error message when trying to open a 1 page PDF with only a single image and some text boxes.

PostScript import failed when calling gs as:
-q -dNOPAUSE -dNODISPLAY -dBATCH -dDELAYBIND -g2448x3168 -r288 -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 -c 0 0 translate -sTraceFile=C:\Users\alber\AppData\Local\Temp\\\ps.out -sExportFiles=X:\Black Box\Action\QuickSheet\Document--QuickSheet-Dragon_Axe C:\Program Files (x86)\Scribus 1.4.8\libs\import.prolog X:\Black Box\Action\QuickSheet\QuickSheet-Dragon_Axe.pdf -c flush cfile closefile quit

Ghostscript diagnostics:

GPL Ghostscript 9.55.0: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1

ant Ghostscript

to execute in a safer environment, but at the same time

have selected DELAYBIND. Unless you use this option with

care (and specifically, remember to call .bindnow) it is

possible that malicious code may be able to evade the

limited security offered by the SAFER option.

Error: /undefined in GS_PDF_ProcSet

Operand stack:

false

Execution stack:

%interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--
           --nostringval--   --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   1990   1   3   %oparray_pop   1989   1   3   %oparra
        y_pop   1977   1   3   %oparray_pop   1834   1   3   %oparray_pop   --nostringval--   %errorexec_pop   .runexec2   --no
        stringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--

Dictionary stack:

--dict:1213/1684(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:76/200(L)--

Current allocation mode is global

Current file position is 2261

AdmFubar

I'd update to the latest version of scribus (1.5 .x beta) and then try opening them and see how well it imports them.            x              (x)                   
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

Steel Rat

We, if the current stable release can't open PDF versions that it says it supports, then I'm not sure how a beta would help.

I would prefer if someone at Scribus could look at the log info and tell me if it's a scribus problem, ghostscript problem, etc.

Nermander

I am not a developer, but the error seems to come from Ghostscript trying to convert the PDF to postscript (at least the command line shown has a .ps file set as output).

Steel Rat

Nothing else, I guess.

Scribus won't work for me.

Nermander

My guess is that there is an error in the PDF causing Ghostscript to fail the conversion.