Scribus > PDF Generation

Font printing issues

<< < (2/2)

toyotadesigner:
The printer specifications are here: https://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2012/FallBizPrinting/HP_LaserJet_Enterprise_700_M712_Printer_Series.pdf

It has features following Languages: HP PCL 6, HP PCL 5e, HP Postscript 3 emulation, native PDF printing (v 1.4)

Whatever they mean with »HP Postscript 3 emulation« — it is only an emulation, not original Postscript (which would be more expensive). That means that the proprietary HP emulation substitutes fonts that are not included in the basic set of 35 typefaces, which results in a substitution of your font. And whatever PDF printing (v 1.4) means — that it can print only PDF files you have exported with Scribus using the PDF 1.4 Standard? In this case, you are limited to the PDF 1.4 standard.

Fonts to outline will blow up the file size tremendously, and the font will be a tad thicker when printed, which is inherent to the »font to outline« option.

Pretty weird print setup. Sounds to me like 1985, but not 2022…  Usually you have »file to plate« processes today, meaning you send the file directly to a printing plate without any steps in between.

scriber:
From Scribus I do export to PDF v1.4, it should be a safer choice exactly for preventing compatibility issues. My files are usually really simple and doesn't contain any exotic graphical element, so that actually doesn't represent a limit for my needs.

--- Quote ---That means that the proprietary HP emulation substitutes fonts that are not included in the basic set of 35 typefaces, which results in a substitution of your font.
--- End quote ---

Sounds reasonable, but it doesn't make clear why the printer has worked properly this time, when we launched printing process by the PDF file on my USB key just opened in Adobe Acrobat (the file version with embedded fonts, the same I had uploaded to the online storage service and shared with them). I suspect some other issues in between the download and printing when I sent the same file.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version