Font "sliced" after pdf export

Previous topic - Next topic

DrLudwig3

Hello Scribus community,

when exporting my document to a pdf file one font I'm using gets "sliced", what I mean with that is that wherever the font crosses itself it's not black as it should be but transparent (see attached screenshots font_pdf_export.png for the broken font). The font I'm using is "Emmylou Signature Bold X Sl". When using print to pdf the font looks correct.

How can I fix the pdf export?
Is there a configuration I have wrong?

I'm working on Windows 10 with the version 1.4.8. Build ID: C-*T-*-C1.8.6-Windows without Ghostscript.

I'm pretty new to scribus and new to this forum, if I can provide any additional information let me know! Any help is appreciated!

Best,
DrLudwig3

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nermander

I am no expert, but I think I have read somewhere that in a properly designed font the strokes should never cross.

But I may remember completely wrong.

toyotadesigner

My guess: The font information for display does have a bug, because it prints correctly. Seems this font is rendered on the display as a simple vector graphic, where you get these cutouts.

Maybe you can get a similar and better font at fonts.google.com

toyotadesigner

Do you use the *.ttf (TrueType) version? It might be that the Open Type version renders bug free.

DrLudwig3

Hey toyotadesigner,

thanks for your suggestions, I checked and I actually have a *.ttf as well as an *.otf version of the font. When opening both with the default windows font inspection the *.otf does show the issue I have but the *.ttf version doesn't. So I uninstalled the *.otf version and only kept the *.ttf version.
Unfortunately this didn't solve my issue yet, in the generated pdf the font still looks ugly. I'll try restarting my PC

toyotadesigner

That's weird.

Just downloaded and installed the *.ttf font (don't have my font converter anymore).

First screenshot: Display in Scribus working mode
Second screenshot: Display in Scribus print preview mode (requires GhostScript)
Third file the exported PDF.

I am on macOS Catalina, so maybe the font rendering in Windows is different?

toyotadesigner

Checked the font for errors, but the *.ttf appears to be clean.

DrLudwig3

Thanks for taking the time!

After restarting my PC I still encountered the same issue. I expermiented around with the pdf export settings and found out that the pdf looks correct for me when I fully embed the Emmylou font instead of having the font as outline (which was the default). I think this will work for me.

For you it worked out of the box? that's weird :/
On my PC your pdf file is correctly displayed as well. Maybe I will also try to uninstall and reinstall the font.

toyotadesigner

Font Outline = all fonts will be converted to »Vector Graphics« -> that's the problem with the incorrect rendering
Always use »Embed or Subset«
Subset only if you have a few pages with one title/headline and font. To be on the safe side, always completely embed all fonts.

toyotadesigner

I am on macOS Catalina as well and never experienced any problems with fonts. Maybe because I only have OpenType fonts?