Mixed Indic and latin texts in the same textbox.

Previous topic - Next topic

sahmed

I am trying to use Scribus Generator to automatically generate a catalog from a csv file along with pictures. My catalog has both Bengali and English text.

However when I run the script and generate pdf's and scribus files, the Bengali text does not appear. There are just blank spaces in the PDF. In the scribus files, there are boxes where the Bengali text is supposed to be. I can highlight those boxes and change the font to SolaimanLipi or some other Bengali font, then it shows up. But manually doing that across hundreds of pages with multiple segments of bengali text is not feasible.

For example, the attached picture is what the output PDF looks like the highlighted parts are where there is Bengali text.

When I change the font in the fontbox to SolaimanLipi, the Bengali text appears and the Latin text is just blank spaces.

Is there any way to use mixed fonts?

Any help in addressing the issue would be greatly appreciated

[attachment deleted by admin]

AdmFubar

Not certain if this will solve the issue. you can try this font.
https://www.1001freefonts.com/mina.font
it seems to have both latin and bengali characters.
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

sahmed

Quote from: AdmFubar on February 22, 2022, 04:06:42 AM
Not certain if this will solve the issue. you can try this font.
https://www.1001freefonts.com/mina.font
it seems to have both latin and bengali characters.

Thank you very much. This does indeed solve the problem though the font isn't my preferred one for my catalog.

sahmed

I found 2 other fonts that have both Bengali and Latin. Siyam Rupali and Nikosh.

Ewac

I would recommend you to look into Fontforge, a freeware program to create and edit fonts. You can create a new custom font, combining your preferred Lating font and Bengali font. I have done this with Latin and Khmer fonts and it solved a lot of problems for me when working with bilingual documents, page numbering and so forth.

Open your preferred Bengali font in fontforge and save a copy to be your custom font.
Open your preferred Latin font and transfer the necessary Latin characters into the respective unicode places in your custom font by simple copy and paste.
Save your custom font and use it for your bilingual documents.
(this is a simplyfied explanation, not a proper tutorial)

This might be a little bit of work to set it up at first (depending on how many Latin characters you want to use) but saves you tonns of work and headaches in the future

sahmed

Quote from: Ewac on March 08, 2022, 07:26:06 AM
I would recommend you to look into Fontforge, a freeware program to create and edit fonts. You can create a new custom font, combining your preferred Lating font and Bengali font. I have done this with Latin and Khmer fonts and it solved a lot of problems for me when working with bilingual documents, page numbering and so forth.

Open your preferred Bengali font in fontforge and save a copy to be your custom font.
Open your preferred Latin font and transfer the necessary Latin characters into the respective unicode places in your custom font by simple copy and paste.
Save your custom font and use it for your bilingual documents.
(this is a simplyfied explanation, not a proper tutorial)

This might be a little bit of work to set it up at first (depending on how many Latin characters you want to use) but saves you tonns of work and headaches in the future

Thank you very much. That is an excellent suggestion to create a few fonts with my preferred Bangla and Latin fonts.