PNG disappears when printing PDF

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluejay

Hi,
my poster has one image in png format. It exports perfectly to PDF but when I print the PDF, the spot is empty. I tried another png image and same problem. The strange thing is that another person was able to print the PDF on her printer without problems, but it doesn't print on mine (HP Office Jet Pro 7720).
It really puzzles me because I have never had the problem that something that is visible in a PDF doesn't print.
What is this?!?
Please help! Thanks!

(I can of course export the poster as an image file and print it as a work around.)

Nermander

My guess is that it may be related to transparency (since PNG is a format that can have transparency, contrary to for example JPG).

I can also be a memory issue (printer running out of memory when trying to render the image).

But key pieces of information are missing here, like PDF version and what PDF viewer is used to print the PDF. And size/resolution of the image.

Bluejay

Quote from: Nermander on February 12, 2022, 03:16:23 PM
key pieces of information are missing

I am using Scribus 1.5.6.1 on a Mac (10.14.6).
I am exporting the PDF with PDF/X-4 because I have another banner with transparency.
I am printing it from within the Apple Preview app.
The image resolution is 72x72 / 881 × 444 (it came like this from the designer.)

Nermander

Quote from: Bluejay on February 12, 2022, 04:16:03 PM

If I am not wrong the Apple Preview app is not very good at complicated PDFs, the usual recommendation is to always try to use Adobe Reader to "test" a PDF.

You could also try to use a different PDF version than X-4, if you have transparency I think at least 1.4 and up can handle it.

Bluejay

Quote from: Nermander on February 13, 2022, 08:15:09 AM
Quote from: Bluejay on February 12, 2022, 04:16:03 PM

the Apple Preview app is not very good at complicated PDFs

Thank you so much! This solved the problem! I never had problems with Preview before. So this thought never occurred to me.