hyphenation limit 5 letters

Previous topic - Next topic

minyves

I'm looking for a setting I think I had already used:

Where do you set the length of the shortest word that may be hyphenated by the Hyphenator?

For my taste too many words get hyphenated.
Under Document Setup or Preferences under "Hyphenator" I can only tick two boxes.

Thanks!

utnik

i know this from libreOffice. but i don't think scribus offers those settings so far.
you could file it as a 'feature request' here.

utnik

AdmFubar

The option is already available in scribus. It is in the content properties window. Select a text box on a page, in the Text Properties (content properties)  there is a entry that allows setting the smallest word, consecutive hyphenations, and the hyphenation character.
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

utnik

hi admfubar

Quote from: AdmFubar on September 21, 2023, 06:46:05 PMThe option is already available in scribus. It is in the content properties window. Select a text box on a page, in the Text Properties (content properties)  there is a entry that allows setting the smallest word, consecutive hyphenations, and the hyphenation character.
you're right – thanks!
unfortunately only the field for 'consecutive hyphenations' made it to the 'style manager', which is where i would like to set those values...

utnik

a.l.e

it's there in 1.7.0svn... probably also in 1.6(to be released)...

utnik

hi ale

thank you for the information. i might never have found it.
it's a bit strange that the setting for the 'consecutive hyphenations allowed' is in the 'properties' tab and the one for the 'smallest word' in the 'character style' tab of the paragraph style.
i'm thinking about an entry in the bug tracker...

utnik

a.l.e

technically, it makes some sense (one is a paragraph setting, the other a character one)... but i must admit that i have found it by clicking around, not because i thought it was the most logic place for it.