Baseline grid creates weird spaces

Previous topic - Next topic

Ewac

Hi, I have a problem with the baseline grid, it creates weird spaces between lines in random places and I cannot find the reason or way to fix it. This is a text frame with two columns, all text in the same style that has baseline grid as setting for line spacing. I already checked and there are no additional breaks or anything that would create these spaces.
The screenshot shows an instance in the left column (the right column has a regular paragraph break).

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi ewac

if there's no paragraph break in the left column, this is really weird. (you should show the control characters to be sure...)
could you share the .sla file for a deeper investigation?

utnik

Ewac

Thank you for the quick reply. The file is rather big, so I'm sending a copy with only those pages that contain the error (I'm not using the style with baseline grid on the other pages). I think I find two instances of the weird spacing and there is also an instance where a column break is made, even though there is still enough space to put two more lines (setting is set on not seperating first and last two lines).

utnik

hi ewac

i don't work with scribus 1.5.5 any more. but in 1.5.7 and 1.5.8.svn your file (with subsetted fonts) doesn't show those 'unintended breaks'.
the setting for 'orphans and widows' doesn't work as expected. i see two paragraphs starting with a single line at the bottom of the columns. i know, there are some open bugs related to 'orphans and widows' – can't help here.
for the 'unintended breaks' i might need the font files to check again. ('file' → 'collect for output')

utnik

Ewac

I hope this is the right thing I'm sending...

utnik

hi ewac

the font files are never embedded in the .sla file. but if you use the menu entry 'file' → 'collect for output', you'll find a checkbox to 'include fonts'. if it is checked, a copy of every font you used in this file will be included in the collection. i need at least the font used in 'regular text gridline'.

utnik

Ewac

ok, this should be it.

utnik

Quote from: Ewac on December 21, 2021, 08:00:55 AM
ok, this should be it.

no. that's the scribus file again. it should be a font file (.otf or .ttf).

the attachment shows the missing fonts.

Ewac

does this work? Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience and willingness to help

utnik

hi ewac

ok – that was it.
the problem is related to the umlaut. if you delete the 'Ü', the two spaces will disappear.
i don't know much about the metrics tables of a font file. it might be a wrong definition of the hight of the glyph in the 'vollkorn' font or just a scribus bug.
...but it's a bug in scribus anyway. even if the font shows a problem, scribus should not skip a grid line. and it skips two of them!
you should file a bug report. i suppose jean ghali can tell you what's wrong – and probably fix it!

utnik

Ewac

Thank you so much for your effort. I tried it and it really only occurs with the capital Umlaut in this particular font. Will report the bug. Thanks!

Ewac

So apparently this does not count as a bug, since it is just the letter being too big...  ::)
Although it looks like there is enough space and it sometimes creates an empty line not only right above the Umlaut, but also above the prior line that does not contain an Umlaut...

Either way, if anyone ever has an issue like this....what I'm doing now is to use the regular A, U, O in the text and then create a seperate text frame with the Umlaut Ä, Ü, Ö and place it on top of the other letter. Using a different color at first to be able to see that I get the position very exact on top of the other.
Not a very smooth solution, but the only thing I could come up with

Nermander

Maybe not a bug in Scribus, but maybe a bug in the font?

utnik

hi ewac

Quote from: Ewac on December 24, 2021, 10:47:05 AM
So apparently this does not count as a bug...
...it sometimes creates an empty line not only right above the Umlaut, but also above the prior line that does not contain an Umlaut...

this space between the upper lines must be a scribus bug. (but jean ghali sees it different...)

Quote...what I'm doing now is to use the regular A, U, O in the text and then create a seperate text frame with the Umlaut Ä, Ü, Ö and place it on top of the other letter. Using a different color at first to be able to see that I get the position very exact on top of the other...

this is a dangerous solution. if you edit your text, the capital umlaut will be misplaced.
even if i like the baseline grid, in cases where i can't set the grid to match all of the used glyphs of my font i would consider to set a fixed line spacing (same as the baseline) and just put the first lines to the baselines. ('file' → 'document setup' → 'item tools' → 'text' → 'first line offset')

Quote from: Nermander on December 24, 2021, 10:49:48 AM
Maybe not a bug in Scribus, but maybe a bug in the font?

i can see an anchor above the top line of the letter grid (see screenshot) – but this might be usual. i don't know much about font metrics.

utnik