Scribus > PDF Generation

File | Export | Save as PDF... - Causes crash SIG11

<< < (3/3)

utnik:
hi scribusribus

if you can reproduce the crash with another file, you should open a bug report. if it's just this single file, it's up to you. but that's the place where the developers might jump in…

utnik

ScribusRibus:

--- Quote from: utnik on December 19, 2021, 04:47:09 pm ---hi scribusribus

if you can reproduce the crash with another file, you should open a bug report. if it's just this single file, it's up to you. but that's the place where the developers might jump in…

utnik

--- End quote ---

Hi utnik,

I'm having trouble re-creating the problem, although I have no problem observing the behaviour with a minimal document.

It seems that it is a combination of a deleted character style, that is still applied to some of the text in a table cell (even though when I removed the style the option to apply "No Style" was offered and accepted), that has no borders (which was a case of Russian Roulette as to whether it worked or not), will cause Scribus to crash when exporting to PDF.

I have one table with one cell left of the original document as a working example of what causes the crash.

Also, there is a subtle additional issue that when the deleted, but still applied somewhere, character style is present in the document, when attempting to export to PDF and selecting the "Fonts" tab to "Embed all" or "Subset all" fonts in the PDF export dialog, this will also cause Scribus to crash with a SIG11. - Reproducing this is a level of Russian Roulette that is beyond me! :-/

Removing the borders from a table or cell seems to be very "hit and miss" or perhaps a "convoluted" and nuanced affair for me with Scribus v1.5.5 - the UI suggests the border has been removed, ie. no lines are selected in the "Properties" dialog and the line is apparently removed, yet when I preview, or move away from the table object, the settings do not stick. ???

Sometimes making the line width 0 and colour None does the trick - but that's not really removing the border line. :-/

It appears that when you select a table or enter a cell, all borders are active in the preferences dialog - regardless of what you had previously selected to be active - and sometimes they are how you left them, as desired. This is not always the case, I presume I must be missing something...

The only way to remove or change what you had previously selected to be active borders, need to be selected exactly as you had intended them to be - before you can amend the line width or colour, or even remove the desired border setting from the cell or table entirely. Additionally the table borders overlap with each other, which actually prevents being able to have cells with a full border of a specific colour that differs from it's neighbours.

I challenge someone to provide me with the steps needed to selectively produce a combination of borders to a table and/or cell, with varying colour and width and/or style that I can apply and get the same result as they did by following said steps. :-) lol

Just to be clear, I'm not bashing Scribus in any way, I just happen to find issues with things... be that either a bug, or a process for something.

Again, I wholeheartedly appreciate all of your suggestions/help - Scribus is a breath of fresh air when compared to MS Word, or even LibreOffice Writer when it comes to layout!  8)

Thanks

PS. I have attached two files demonstrating the issues I see. Hopefully nobody experiences the same issues, but if you do please report what version of Scribus you are using and I will gladly update.  8)

martonlente:
Hello,

@ScribusRibus did you manage to resolve this issue? I've exactly the same problem with one particular file that I put a lot of work into.

If you didn't find a perfect solution, what did finally work for you?

Thanks for sharing your experience in advance!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version