Why no simple command to switch between one text/image frame and another

Previous topic - Next topic

judgedredd

One constant failing of this program is no simple way to switch from one text/image frame to another without delving into the difficult to search help/manual/forum.

If there is a way to do this why no button or menu item for this?

If there is no way to do this, why not?

Christen_Anderson

If I understood your question correctly, layers may be the problem. Basically....

To switch from one text frame to another on the same layer, simply click on the text frame you want to select.
To edit text in a different text frame on the same layer, double click inside that text frame to switch to "Edit mode."
To switch from one frame to another on a different layer, open the Layers palette, select the layer that the second frame is on, then click on the frame.
To edit text in a different text frame on a different layer, open the Layers palette, select the layer that the second frame is on, then double click on the frame.

Sorry if I misunderstood your problem....

HTH,
Christen
Scribus 1.4.0 on Windows Vista 32-bit

https://feathercurtain.wordpress.com/

judgedredd

Well, I have tried that and the number of layers shown is 0 even though there are about 20 text frames or image frames in the document. All I did to create those text/image frames is click on the appropriate button and create the size box I need for the text or the image. I never have added layers.

So using terminology that doesn't seem to make sense is another problem.

If each frame (no matter whether it is for text or frames) is a different layer why doesn't the layer properties box show/tell me that?

Seems to me to be a very simple solution where you have a button that will cycle through the frames when you click on it (and keep clicking on it) highlighting each one until you get the one you want.

What happens is that when you have two frames, one over the other, with different content it is nearly impossible to get to the frame below the top one. Really poor lack of thought in this area.

Thanks for taking time to respond.

Christen_Anderson

Quote from: judgedredd on March 03, 2012, 06:38:56 PM
If each frame (no matter whether it is for text or frames) is a different layer why doesn't the layer properties box show/tell me that?
Sorry for the confusion. Each frame is not created on a different layer - they are created on the currently active layer.

Quote from: judgedredd on March 03, 2012, 06:38:56 PM
What happens is that when you have two frames, one over the other, with different content it is nearly impossible to get to the frame below the top one. Really poor lack of thought in this area.
Select the top frame, then hold down Ctrl and click it again - this cycles through to the next frame.

HTH,
Christen

judgedredd

Ok.

Since you know to do this where is that procedure talked about? Or is it something that you found out by accident? If this can be done with two frames which are one over the other, then surely there is something that allows you to go from one frame to the other no matter where they are on the document (these 20 or so frames are in an area 2.125 inches by 3.375 inches)?

Christen_Anderson

Quote from: judgedredd on March 03, 2012, 07:12:06 PM
Since you know to do this where is that procedure talked about?

In the local help files - Documentation > Scribus Basics > Working with Frames.

Quote from: judgedredd on March 03, 2012, 07:12:06 PM
surely there is something that allows you to go from one frame to the other no matter where they are on the document?

Have you tried using the "Outline" tool? (Windows > Outline) This allows you to jump to any frame, anywhere in the document. Of course, this only really works when you have meaningful names for your frames, instead of the default "Text1," etc.

~Christen

judgedredd

Hi Christen,

Thank you very much for that. Just what I wanted.

Its a shame its called something that doesn't actually convey what it does. If anyone looks up the word outline it means something completely different to what is inferred in Scribus.

It should be called 'frame finder' or something.

Christen_Anderson

Yes, there have been several complaints on how ambiguous the name is. Oh well...one thing at a time.  :)
~Christen

Nermander

It shows the "outline" of the document, maybe "structure" would be a better name?

I think one proposal has been "Object browser".

On the other hand, if you read the manual it is explained there...

Meho R.

Probably "Outline" is used because of somehow similar use of the term in MS Office, where Outline View shows the structure of the document. On the other hand, Open/Libre Office use "Navigator", for navigation through the document, which makes much more sense.

a.l.e

i guess that if somebody finds (and suggests) the right name for the palette, that name will be used...

... as for now, well, none of the alternative was really convincing to me...

x-rays probably being the best suggestions :-)

ciao
a.l.e