Problem with small caps

Previous topic - Next topic

Biblio

Hello,

First of all, I don't know what category this should go in, so please feel free to change it or correct me.

Is there a way to make Scribus embed features such as small caps into PDFs? When I export my document as a PDF, the small caps (I used the OpenType small caps, not the fake ones) can not be highlighted or selected. It would seem that they are not longer "text". This happened with multiple fonts in the same document. Attached are some screenshots so you can see what I mean.

Cordially,
Biblio

[attachment deleted by admin]

toyotadesigner

Can you select other text in the PDF document?
Is the PDF document password protected?

Nermander

From what I understand the screenshot shows the selection (in red), but the small caps of the word PDF are white because they were not included in the selection.

Biblio

All of the text can be selected except the text in small caps, no matter what character or paragraph style I used.

No, the PDF is not password protected (I didn't add one).

Not only is the word PDF not in the selection, it can't be selected at all (nor can any of the other words in small caps).

toyotadesigner

That is very strange.

Could you embed the small caps font in the PDF?

[attachment deleted by admin]

AdmFubar

Quote from: Biblio on November 12, 2021, 08:59:08 PM

Not only is the word PDF not in the selection, it can't be selected at all (nor can any of the other words in small caps).
Have you actually copied the text and tried to paste it elsewhere? It may be that the visual of the selection doesn't show the selection correctly, but it may contain the the actual text.
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

Biblio

Yes, I already tried embedding the fonts, it didn't make a difference.

I just tried copying some text with small caps and pasting it somewhere and the text in small caps was not there.

toyotadesigner

I guess the small caps font is exported as vectors (text converted to lines), which could be if there is a lock in the font for copy protection. Some time ago I have experienced the same problem with a commercial page layout, where the font could not be selected in the PDF due to some sort of copyright protection.

Meho R.

Quote from: toyotadesigner on November 13, 2021, 09:50:19 PM
I guess the small caps font is exported as vectors (text converted to lines), which could be if there is a lock in the font for copy protection. Some time ago I have experienced the same problem with a commercial page layout, where the font could not be selected in the PDF due to some sort of copyright protection.

I don't think it's about copy protection. Rather, it seems something doesn't work as expected when using OpenType features ("Font Features" in Scribus 1.5.6.1). It's not just small caps that cannot be copied from PDF, but text figures (i.e. Old Style figures) too, if they aren't default figures for the font which is used. This is a serious issue in those publications which are intended for reading on screen and if it's expected to have full access to the text (e.g. courses, manuals, etc.).

Only incidentally related to this isuue: I do recall having a similar problem with XeLaTeX and OTF fonts, but not with LuaLaTeX.

Biblio

Indeed, it is not about copy protection, I used fonts with the OFL font license.

I noticed another problem too, and I made another post, but no one has replied to it. When adding links to something on another page of the same document, the width is taken to be the height of the document (even though it is not a square), and to the coordinates are useless.

toyotadesigner

OK, I ran out of ideas of helping to solve your problem. Good luck for you to find the bug!

Biblio

I tested old-style figures with different fonts, and it is hit and miss.

Thank you for taking the time to look for solutions.  ;D

Biblio

Nermander

I would suggest registering a bug in the bug tracker so the developers can lookm into the issue. Include examples (for example both fonts that work and fonts that do not work).