Scribus immediately crashes

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasn

I have been using Scribus for years and it has always been great. I've had a bit of a break from the kind of tasks that require Scribus recently, so today was the first time trying to use it in a couple months.

Now, it immediately crashes with the message "Scribus crashes due to Signal #11".

Trying to start it from a terminal to get a bit more information, I get these messages leading up to the crash:
Warning: dynamic library '/usr/lib/osgPlugins-3.6.5/osgdb_gdal.so' exists, but an error occurred while trying to open it:
libgdal.so.29: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Warning: dynamic library '/usr/lib/osgPlugins-3.6.5/osgdb_ogr.so' exists, but an error occurred while trying to open it:
libgdal.so.29: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Warning: dynamic library '/usr/lib/osgPlugins-3.6.5/osgdb_vnc.so' exists, but an error occurred while trying to open it:
libvncclient.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
ReaderWriterTF::writeObject
pathForIcon: Unable to load icon /usr/share/scribus/icons/1_5_1/lab.png: File not found
pathForIcon: Unable to load icon /usr/share/scribus/icons/1_5_1/spot.png: File not found
pathForIcon: Unable to load icon /usr/share/scribus/icons/1_5_1/register.png: File not found
qt.gui.icc: Unsupported ICC profile class 70727472
QPngHandler: Failed to parse ICC profile
Scribus Crash
-------------
Scribus crashes due to Signal #11

This is using Scribus 1.5.7-6 on an up-to-date Arch Linux system.
Any ideas where I can go from here to troubleshoot this issue?

AdmFubar

Looks like you are missing some files on your system, and there are some errors in the scribus configuration dir.. this could be caused by a bad hard drive. I would rename the .scribus directory and see if it rebuilds the configuration. that may clear up the problem.
In the mean time what os and system specs can you share? plus how old is your system?
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

thomasn

Thank you for your reply! I tried renaming the .scribus directory, but it doesn't rebuild the directory. Reinstalling Scribus doesn't change anything either (and it still doesn't rebuild the .scribus directory).

My system is a simple five year old desktop (Intel i3-6100, Nvidia GTX 1050, 8GB ram, sata SSD). It has been running the same installation of Arch Linux for five years, which is up to date (Linux kernel 5.14.14-arch1-1). I have used Scribus on this system frequently, but last used it this summer, so I don't know precisely when it began crashing. I have not noticed any other indications of SSD failure and just ran a S.M.A.R.T. test on the drive, which it passed without errors.

Adrien Hegy

Hi,

I posted a comment under the Archlinux.org bug tracker with a solution that works for me : https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/71711

QuoteHi there,

I had a similar problem (#11 signal), I don't know if it has same origin but what did the job for me :

Use the no-splash option which disable starting screen, after that Scribus start at document creation and seems to work fine.
Following lines from scribus -h gave me this idea (french version, sorry about that) :
-ns, --no-splash Ne pas afficher l'écran de démarrage
-nns, --never-splash Cesse d'afficher l'écran de démarrage au démarrage. Ecrit un fichier vide appelé .neversplash dans ~/.config /scribus
I confirm that using -nns option works even after launching program out of a terminal (from start menu or from a file)

Hope this might help you having Scribus working and maybe debugging the problem.