No furigana (rubi/ruby) support means no Japanese

Previous topic - Next topic

boomerlife

See attachment for what 'furigana' means.

Japanese people cannot read documents without furigana.  To not support furigana is to not support Japanese language. 

Japanese language is unique.  Because they merge our English alphabet with hiragana and kanji and katakana, they are not reliant on ability to read advanced kanji without furigana.

Not only that but furigana is used in creative ways nowadays to add to meaning in new ways.  I have seen the kanji for God "神様" with the furigana "ゴッド" (/god/ phonetically) above it so that the kanji 神様 is pronounced /god/ as a kind of pun. 

Without furigana, Japanese is crippled.  You cannot ignore this any more.  Libreoffice and WPS office both support the ability to write in furigana.  Scribus cannot import text with furigana.  This is unacceptable.

Since Libreoffice is open source , their system for furigana support could be grafted into the Scribus story editor. 

It is incredibly frustrating and irritating that this amazing design software cannot be used with Japanese text because furigana has been laid aside as some fringe extra. 

It is not!

Your amazing software is currently USELESS for Japanese people.

Please address this.  People have brought this issue up a decade ago and still nothing has been done.

[attachment deleted by admin]

DIYPlanner

Hi,boomerlife
Till now Scribus has really poor support for Asian languages,in addition to furigana there is no support for vertical text as well.

I'm also looking forward to see these features to be added to newer version of Scribus.There are many people on the offical bugzilla of Scribus demanding the support for Asian language features to be implemented soon. However Scribus community indeed lacks of full-time developers these years,that causes the development process to be slow down as opposed to quick bugfixes.

So I wish more people could join in the development of Scribus.Hope these language-specific features could be addressd in my lifetime.