How to give pages a dotted pattern background

Previous topic - Next topic

bastianilso

How to create pages with a dotted pattern background
In relation to my bullet journal template I was asked how I created the dotted pattern, which I use on some pages (as seen in the image below). This is a just short tutorial on how to set this up yourself.

• Scribus can load patterns from SVG files. You can create your own pattern with Inkscape, or, if you would like to create a dot-pattern like above, you can download and "Save as.." the pattern.svg file from my repository.
  • Open your scribus project. Go to EditColors and Fills. Click on the section called Patterns. On the right-hand side, press Load File and choose the pattern SVG file. By default Scribus imports your pattern file and names it "pattern" (you can rename it to e.g. dot-pattern if you like).

• If you wish to apply the pattern to the page background, I suggest creating a master page by going to EditMaster Pages
  • Create a large rectangle shape (Insert → Shapes → Default Shapes → Rectangle) that takes up the entire page.
  • Select the rectangle, go to Properties (F2), Colors section. Under Fill tab, set the Fill Mode dropdown to Pattern. Select your pattern from the list.

[/list]

And that's it!

Some piece of advice: Repeating an SVG pattern can cause some performance issues. For that reason I suggest you put the shape in a layer which is hidden during Scribus editing, but exported for print.