Pagination in Persian/Arabic

Previous topic - Next topic

farzan

Dear All,
Is there any workaround to do the pagination in Persian/Arabic? When making page numbers in master page I chose a Persian/Arabic font. However it shows the page numbers in English. Is there a way to change the language so that Scribus understands the page numbers should be in Arabic/Persian?
Thank you.

PatJr

it was clunky but I think it works
make a character style
edit the master page
apply the master page
go back and reedit the master page and use select all so the page variable gets selected
apply the page number style
end master page edit

not sure it worked because I'm not sure what it should look like??
I did have to do the double edit on the master page to get style to take on page variable

farzan

Thank you very much PatJr.
I am not sure I have done it correctly but after "select all" I am not able to apply the page number style as "apply" is not active any more.

However, I found another workaround for it: after insertion of automatic page numbering in usual way I went to document setting-section and chose in style the Persian numbers.

a.l.e

hi farzan

i don't know exactly what you did try, but if you want persian page numbers, you need to go to the "file > document setup", then go to the "sections" section and choose the persian style for the the (current) section.

and, of course, you need to have a font installed that has glyphs for arabic / persian... but i guess that you have that.

ciao
a.l.e

farzan

Thank you. That's exactly what I did too indeed (and it worked).
I found using Story Editor much easier and more logical to use to add page numbers than insert -> character -> page number and then create new styles for character and paragraph. Do I do something wrong with Story Editor?

Nermander

Quote from: farzan on May 20, 2023, 12:32:40 AMI found using Story Editor much easier and more logical to use to add page numbers than insert -> character -> page number and then create new styles for character and paragraph. Do I do something wrong with Story Editor?

Why would you not need styles if you use the Story Editor? As far as I know there should be no difference whether you do this in the Story Editor or directly in the text frame.

The only difference I can think of is that in the Story editor you will probably not see the result directly, because the Story editor uses a display font that is totally different from what you will see on the page. Changing that display font will only change how it looks when you work in the Story editor, it will not change the appearance of the text in the text frame.