Author Topic: Can Scribus Create a Booklet?  (Read 534 times)

HikinMike

• Scribus User
Can Scribus Create a Booklet?
« on: August 28, 2021, 02:25:56 am »
Previously I used InDesign, but I don't have access anymore so, I'm learning Scribus. Is there a template or a tutorial or something so I can create a booklet or am I out of luck.

utnik

Re: Can Scribus Create a Booklet?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 09:48:14 am »
hi mike

if you're use to work with id, it shouldn't be too hard to create booklet with scribus. there are templates out there, but i never saw something prepared exactly to my needs. for a simple booklet i would always create my own file from scratch.
if you need a manual for scribus, take a look at 'floss manuals'.

utnik

Nermander

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 09:51:07 am »
As far as I know every PDF viewer has the ability to print a booklet. And Scribus can create a PDF.

toyotadesigner

• Active Scribus Mac User
    • architectural, industrial and business photographer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 01:42:04 pm »
Hm, for what reason do you want to create the booklet yourself?

In most cases, a print shop uses a special software to re-arrange the pages, which relates to the size/format of the paper sheets and the direction of the paper running direction (important for folding the paper in the following process).

In short words: If you want to have your booklet printed professionally (even with digital printing), you can deliver a PDF with single pages (not! double sided), they will feed it into the software an in less than a minute they can print the document, fold and cut the booklet to the desired dimensions.

If you want to print a booklet on your home printer and have a Mac, there is a PDF sorter that does exactly this for paper sizes up to DIN A4 or US Letter size. One of the many options is available here: https://statusq.org/archives/2019/01/11/8893/ If you are not on a Mac, I have no idea how to handle this.
Nur wenige wissen, wie viel man wissen muss, um zu wissen, wie wenig man weiss.
Only few know how much you have to know to know how little you know.
Sólo unos pocos saben lo mucho que hay que saber para saber lo poco que se sabe.

— Werner Heisenberg [German theoretical physicist]

HikinMike

• Scribus User
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 07:40:56 am »
Sorry for the late reply, I thought I'd get an e-mail notification for replies.

After posting this I was able to find this: https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Making_a_booklet_with_Scribus_and_Adobe_Reader although the helper script didn't seem to work.

@toyotadesigner - I'm doing this for our church (directory) and the local collage will print it. I was just trying to get it all set up correctly, but the last time I did it, they ended up doing the imposition.

Thanks everybody.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 07:46:16 am by HikinMike »

Nermander

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 09:56:58 pm »
You don't need the helper script. It is only useful if you have a very old version of Adobe Reader that can just du n-up printing.

All newer versions seem to already support booklet printing.

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/print-booklets-acrobat-reader.html

palmate