Colorprofile for print not shown

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogo75

Hi,

I use Scribus 1.5.7 on Gentoo Linux and can't find a way to install an icc color profile from Saal Digital.
In particular I try to install/use Fotobuch Matt. I have unzipped the archive and copied the included .icc to /usr/share/color/icc/
Unfortunately in Scribus color management settings only my monitor settings are shown which I have copied exactly to the same folder.

Is there something wrong with the icc profile (Darktable accepts it btw) or is there something I have been missing?

Thanks
Simon

Bogo75

FYI: I've asked the support of Saal Digital. They told me, their color profiles are not compatible with Scribus softproof. They recommend using PhotoShop.

Bogo

mnawij

Hi Bogo75, straight from color.org

The purpose of the ICC is to promote the use and adoption of open, vendor-neutral, cross-platform color management systems.
The ICC encourages vendors to support the ICC profile format and the workflows required to use ICC profiles.
The v4 ICC specification is widely used and is referred to in many International and other de-facto standards. It was first approved as an International Standard, ISO 15076-1, in 2005 and revised in 2010.

If their profile does not work it could be due to not matching the ICC standard correctly, if it does it should have no problem.

Have you looked at:  https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Getting_and_installing_ICC_profiles

mnawij

Bogo75

Hi mnawij,

yes, I came across that webpage before I opened this thread. I managed to install icc profiles from other sources including my own generated monitor profiles with that manual.
Probably you are right, their profiles must differ in any way from the standard. But I am out of ideas. This thread is pretty quiet and the Saal support is not useful (use PhotoShop, wtf?!).
I even considered to convert the .icc from the current format to a different format as I have done with JPEG or PDF in the past to circumvent compatibility issues. But I lack knowledge how to do that.

Probably I have to go without softproof of any kind which is a bit sad. As Linux and open source user, PhotoShop isn't an option for me...

Bogo

toyotadesigner

Hi Bogo,

I am using the ISOcoated_v2_300_eci.icc or coated_FOGRA39_GCR_bas.icc for all printing purposes. Then I export the file to a PDF/X-4 document. Usually the RIPs (Raster Image Processors) of the printing companies or service providers analyze the PDF and substitute the icc profile with their »custom profile« if necessary (even not so modern RIPs can do that IF the operator has the knowledge and is willing to do it). If someone forces me to use his »custom« profile, I back off and contact another company. If a company does not or can not stick to the international standards, they won't be my printing partner. Never.

Nermander

Quote from: Bogo75 on July 27, 2021, 11:41:41 AM
I have unzipped the archive and copied the included .icc to /usr/share/color/icc/

Are you 100% sure this is the right way to install the profiles? (I have not installed any ICC profiles in a couple of years, so I don't remember if is as easy as that. And I don't have Scribus installed on a Linux machine at the moment.)

Did you check the ownership and permissions on the files? Maybe Scribus is not allowed to read them.

I notice that on the Ubuntu machine I have here there are no profiles in /user/share/color/icc/, instead there are two subfolders (colord and ghostscript).

Bogo75

I am pretty sure the path is correct as other manual installed profiles are shown within Scribus. But I have tested the folders you mention as well. No chance.
I am not sure, if I want to go with "any" ICC profile. Isn't there a way to convert to a different format. Or better: Is there experience with Saal Digital anywhere?

Bogo

Nermander

Quote from: Bogo75 on August 22, 2021, 10:53:18 AM
I am pretty sure the path is correct as other manual installed profiles are shown within Scribus. But I have tested the folders you mention as well. No chance.

I didn't intend you to randomly test copying to different folders, but rather research the correct way to install profiles.

I personally never manually copy things to /usr/share, because those folders are often maintained by install scripts (at least under Debian derivates).

toyotadesigner

Quote from: Bogo75 on August 22, 2021, 10:53:18 AM
Isn't there a way to convert to a different format. Or better: Is there experience with Saal Digital anywhere?

The company is extremely Adobe oriented and biased. Use the standard PDF/X-4 and contact an experienced printing company that knows how to handle their RIP.

Bogo75

Quote from: Nermander on August 22, 2021, 12:33:54 PM
I didn't intend you to randomly test copying to different folders, but rather research the correct way to install profiles.

I didn't do the installation randomly. First I followed the Scribus docs here: https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Getting_and_installing_ICC_profiles
Second I researched the Gentoo docs about installing color profiles.
And the last step was to debug Scribus itself:
strace -fetrace=file scribus |& grep local.*icc

As that said, I am pretty sure I had chosen the correct path in the first. Not to say I am sure. :-)

Stange that they are that biased as they mention Scribus on a different doc about preparing documents for printing. Maybe I really go without softproof, but with a profiled monitor setup only.

Bogo

Nermander

What about owner and permissions? Are the files you copied now 644 and owned by root? (That is how it looks in the folders I looked into).

Bogo75

Right 644 and owner is root. It looks exactly like the monitor (and other print) profiles I had installed manually. ATM, I am trying something with the tools from colord. E.g. cd-fix-profile - but without success yet.

Bogo

toyotadesigner

Did you try a softproof with a PDF viewer? A (good) PDF viewer should be able to use the color profile.