How can I access autosave files after a crash v. 1.5.2 macOS

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnJR

Hi,

I have always used Autosave (set at 10-minute intervals, save into same document) and in the case of I think Signal 6 crashes, the recovery window did pop up noted the crashes and asked if I would like to recover the files.  In those cases I checked the boxes and hit recover.  The box keeps popping up after every crash and still shows the recovered files and asks if I want to recover them again.

However I think with Signal 11 crashes (I have to force quite Scribus as unresponsive, spinning beachball), when I open Scribus and open the file again, no check box is added for this file, it's the old previously recovered ones all over again.  The latest crashed file is not listed and I have about two-hours into it.  Can I access the autosave/recovery somehow and retrieve my work?

Thanks,

utnik

hi john

there should be an autosave file named like that: (your file name)_autosave_(date)_(time).sla. if you didn't specify a path in the preferences, it should be in te same folder as your project file.

utnik

JohnJR

Hi Utnik,

I couldn't find it, but I found other recovered files with the directory (if that is the right word), i.e. name_autosave_mm_dd_yyyy_hr_min.sla.

Knowing nothing about the inner workings of my computer, I still used Apple's Finder>Find and entered in finally just .sla.  I'm pretty sure that brought up everything and I could see plenty of autosaves and recoveries over the years but nothing with my current file name except for that "file name.sla" itself where none of the day's pre-crash work was saved.

I have gone back into Preferences>Document Setup more than once to check Saving & Undo to see if autosave is activated.  Here is what I have there:

checked- "Try to save "Emergency File" in case of a crash"
checked- "Enable automatic saving of documents"  Interval: 10min.  Number of files to keep: 1
selected- "Save into the same directory as the document"  Not selected- "Save into" (blank)
Not checked- "Keep backup files after closing the document"
Not checked- "Show autosave countdown clock on the canvas"

I have checked (activated) the last two choices above.

Going to the document itself I can't see anywhere that the "countdown clock" appeared.  I tried typing in a few characters into a text box and deleting them and leaving the document, nothing changed.  I tried closing both the document and Scribus itself and re-opening both, still no clock, but I did get the crash report/recovery window that asked the same questions about documents already recovered.

In the meantime I think I'll manually hit the File>Save option with greater frequency now.

I did notice that the master pages character fonts and point sizes held, but in the document itself the text frame characters went haywire devolving back to Ariel and exaggerating the point sizes.

I'm not sure but I think autosave might be affected by whether there is a Signal 6 or Signal 11 crash, Signal 6 might save, but not Signal 11.

Thanks,

utnik

hi john

Quote from: JohnJR on June 10, 2021, 07:19:43 PM
I couldn't find it, but I found other recovered files with the directory (if that is the right word), i.e. name_autosave_mm_dd_yyyy_hr_min.sla.

that's exactly what i wrote. (i call it (date)_(time), you call it mm_dd_yyyy_hr_min and scribus may call it 06_12_2021_23_50 – it's all the same...)

Quote...I could see plenty of autosaves and recoveries over the years but nothing with my current file name except for that "file name.sla" itself where none of the day's pre-crash work was saved.

I have gone back into Preferences>Document Setup more than once to check Saving & Undo to see if autosave is activated.  Here is what I have there:

checked- "Try to save "Emergency File" in case of a crash"
checked- "Enable automatic saving of documents"  Interval: 10min.  Number of files to keep: 1
selected- "Save into the same directory as the document"  Not selected- "Save into" (blank)
Not checked- "Keep backup files after closing the document"
Not checked- "Show autosave countdown clock on the canvas"

well, it says 'try to save "emergency file" in case of a crash' – this may work in some cases, but...
...if you don't check 'keep backup files after closing the document', you may end without a backup file.

Quote...Going to the document itself I can't see anywhere that the "countdown clock" appeared.

i never use it, but my short test showed a backup clock in the lower left corner for the last minute before the next backup will be saved.

utnik