Does "automatic text frames" apply only to full margin frames or also to nested

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnJR

Hi,

It seems from older posts that Automatic text frames only applied to full margin frames, so if you have a page with two or three text frames nested within those margins, even though most of your pages are full margin text frames, you should not use Automatic text frames in New Document Setup.  Is this still true?  Or if using Automatic text frames blows up your document in not easily fixable ways when the text import encounters them?

The example is a book setup where most pages are just full margin text, but you have a blank page and then say a Chapter Page-Right with two or three separate frames. And this page combination is interspersed here and there.

With regards to imports, if you have, say, a .odt book file that has a few blank pages and then a Title page and a series of pages after that for copyright data, acknowledgements, dedication, and followed by that first Chapter Page-Right sequence before full pages of text.  And the Scribus document is laid out the same.  Where should the import start, with the Title text frames or with the first (blank) page.  What happens after that?

Thanks,

utnik

hi john

Quote from: JohnJR on June 03, 2021, 09:16:41 PMIt seems from older posts that Automatic text frames only applied to full margin frames...

yes, they fill the area inside the margins.

Quote...if you have a page with two or three text frames nested within those margins, even though most of your pages are full margin text frames, you should not use Automatic text frames in New Document Setup...

i would always use automatic frames for a longer document when lots of pages will use them. but you should break the text chain after each chapter.

QuoteOr if using Automatic text frames blows up your document in not easily fixable ways when the text import encounters them?

i don't know what you are talking about. an empty frame wouldn't really blow up your document – and i would delete unused frames anyway...

Quote... if you have, say, a .odt book file that has a few blank pages and then a Title page and a series of pages after that for copyright data, acknowledgements, dedication, and followed by that first Chapter Page-Right sequence before full pages of text.  And the Scribus document is laid out the same.  Where should the import start, with the Title text frames or with the first (blank) page.  What happens after that?

sometimes i don't really understand your workflow.
are you creating the full layout in libreoffice before you import the text, and then you re-create it in scribus?

you may import the whole book and unlink the text frames after title, copyright stuff... and between chapters with 'item' → 'text frame links' → 'unlink text frames and cut text'. but if the document is too big for your computer, you should import chapter by chapter.

utnik