Scribus and automatic paragraph numbering

Previous topic - Next topic

vadv55

Please explain if Scribus supports automatic paragraph numbering (as in LibreOffice). Thanks in advance for the reply.

toyotadesigner

Yes it does. Paste some text, connect the text frames, press cmd+a (on a Mac, on Windows I don't know the shortcut to select all text), open the »Text Properties«, select the font face, scroll down a bit until you reach »Paragraph Effects« and select your desired settings. You can also define a Paragraph Style in Menu -> Edit -> Styles and apply the style to your selected text.

[attachment deleted by admin]

vadv55

Thank you for the answer. As I understand it, I should use the Numbered List option. Is it possible, in addition, to assign numbers of different colors to text paragraphs, that is, so that each number has its own style?

toyotadesigner

Probably. Define a new »Character Style«, assign a specific type font and color, then select this new Character Style in the box at the bottom of the screenshot (-> Char Style)

vadv55

Thank you for your help. Indeed, everything turned out for me exactly as you advised.

davidb

I can't find the paragraph numbering option either in the properties box or when creating a new paragraph style. Is this feature version dependent? I am using V1.4.8 Windows 32 bit (I asked for 64 bit but it gave me the 32 bit version).

toyotadesigner

davidb

Looks like my version is different. I have fewer options in the Windows drop down and after following your instructions I still don't see any auto-numbering options in the properties window. See attached screenshots. Maybe the Windows version has fewer features.

toyotadesigner

You should definitely read the manual or wiki!

davidb

The paragraph effects tab does not appear for me under styles in 1.4.8 for Windows (I tried 32 and 64 bit versions on two different PCs). See attached screenshot.
However I have now installed 1.5.8 development version for Windows 64 bit and it does appear there (but not in the properties window), so provided that version is mainly bug free I can use that.

davidb

It seems that numbered lists are only available in the 1.5.x development branch but not in the 1.4.8 current release version. I have checked 1.5.8 for Windows and 1.5.5 for Ubuntu and both have numbered lists. Haven't got a Mac but Toyotadesigner clearly has a Mac version which does have numbered lists.

toyotadesigner

Scribus 1.5.8 is a release version, which is also available for Windows.

If you want developer versions you might check this site: https://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-svn/

I am currently running 1.5.8 for macOS.