Recover data from Scribus file

Previous topic - Next topic

Damnameneus

Hello!
I'm really new to Scribus, but been working on some project for the last two months just for fun learning. The issue is that I've created a booklet I was trying to fix and polish step by step and I was nearly ready to save a final version.
I'm working on Kubuntu, with Scribus 1.5.5, although the file was started on another computer that wasn't mine and I can't remember if it used the same version (although I'd say yes, because it was loaded and worked fine). So far, it everything worked neat, but four days ago with a last change I made to some texts and a vector I included, the file won't open anymore.
Scribus launches fine and it keeps endlessly loading it until it suddenly closes (it's taking it between 2 and 3 hours to finally crush). I've been searching around and couldn't fine anyway to fix it, so I assumed the file might be corrupted? I could open a copy of it to check it's XML, though.
Also, I've tried launching it from Konsole, and just at the beginning it throws this alert:
Icon theme "Numix-Circle-Light" not found.
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 5 (BadAtom), sequence: 1177, resource id: 0, major code: 19 (DeleteProperty), minor code: 0
I'm currently making another attempt this way to see if it also throws some error when finally crushing, but it might take some hours. So far it keeps stuck on 2% loaded.
How normal is this? Is there anyway to recover, at least, changes to the texts?

utnik

hi damnameneus
Quote from: Damnameneus on April 08, 2021, 01:33:43 PM...How normal is this?

if the file has been closed in a normal way (no crash), this is far from being normal!
QuoteIs there anyway to recover, at least, changes to the texts?

that's hard to tell, but if you show me the file, i'll give it a try...

utnik

Damnameneus

Hi! To my knowledge, there were no crushes last time I saved the file. Although Kubuntu does funny things from time to time with some apps like Krita, but so far I haven't had any issue with Scribus. This is the first and only file that gives me trouble, in fact:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/teo6tej19g4awd5/BOOKLET_JP3.sla?dl=0

utnik

hi damnameneus

i had no real problems to open your file. but it needs more than my 16 gigabytes of ram. i needed 7 minutes to open the file and the disc swapping converts the smallest move into a time consuming process.
if i can find the time, i will split the file tomorrow and investigate it a bit...

utnik

Damnameneus

Ok, thanks for checking!

Quote from: utnik on April 08, 2021, 11:23:47 PM
if i can find the time, i will split the file tomorrow and investigate it a bit...

It is possible to divide it so it's handleable then?

dragonfly

This is a huge download. 321 MB.
I was able to view XML using XMLCopyEditor (in Ubuntu 20.04 with 8GB RAM).
The document shows 6080035 lines.
It checks as well formed XML.
But that is as far as I ventured
The document can be edited as XML if one knows what to edit, where to break up.
Python could also be used to parse XML.

Damnameneus

So I don't really get how it got so big either. I thought neither images nor imported texts were really saved within the .sla?
I've also tried to recover some of the text: most were originally imported from external files, because something weird happened with the windowing that didn't allow me to define styles and I just found formatting text outside was just easier; but some were later corrected in scribus. And yes, it was planed to include a good bunch of images, but they were supposed to be just links?

utnik

ok - after splitting your file i saw that almost all the content was on pages two and three (>300mb). then i deleted more than three millions of duplicated text frames. (looks like accidentally created multiple duplicates...)
i'll send you a link to the (so far) cleaned file by pm. there are still 305 paragraph styles and 160 colours. but i'm not going to clean this part as you should be able to deal with the file again.

utnik

Damnameneus

Thanks a lot! Yay!  :D
I don't really know how so many text frames were around, though. Mi mouse does have an issue of double clicking sometimes but  :o and I couldn't even imagine what were wrong... I'll be checking some other way to keep things organized and visible.
And do lots of backups. Thanks!