Author Topic: Missing PDF/X key  (Read 704 times)

toyotadesigner

• Active Scribus Mac User
    • architectural, industrial and business photographer
Missing PDF/X key
« on: March 16, 2021, 09:06:23 am »
I am currently testing »PDF Checkpoint«, a software for macOS that checks an exported PDF for errors. No, I do not test this software to verify Scribus generated PDF documents, but to check PDF documents from another publishing software. However, I dragged a Scribus PDF document into the software and got a warning: Missing PDF/X key: PDF/X-3 (2003)

Would it be possible if the developers could check this feature and include it in future releases? Or do I have to post this in the Scribus Mantis Issue Tracker forum?

[Edit] I will post it there anyway now, so I won't forget it.
Nur wenige wissen, wie viel man wissen muss, um zu wissen, wie wenig man weiss.
Only few know how much you have to know to know how little you know.

— Werner Heisenberg [German theoretical physicist]

mnawij

• Scribus User
Re: Missing PDF/X key
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 04:37:30 am »
Hi toyotadesigner,

pdf/x-3 was always problematic for me and a newer version of /x-4 is much better. x-3 did not handle spot colors, transparencies and something else I cannot remember off the top of my brain ;D I believe that the profile needed to be included in the metadata of the pdf along with other information such as trapping, this could be the problem... I do not have Scribus available to me atm, but I would highly recommend an alternate profile be used. Sorry I could not help you out further.

Cheers!

mnawij

toyotadesigner

• Active Scribus Mac User
    • architectural, industrial and business photographer
Re: Missing PDF/X key
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 07:56:36 am »
Hi mnawij,

thank you very much for your information. I have posted this problem in the Mantis Issue Tracker forum and someone looked into it. Scribus generates clean PDF/X-3 files, it was the PDF checking program that didn't interpret the file correctly. I will modify the »Preferences« now and switch to PDF/X-4, have some documents printed and check the outcome.

The thread is located here: https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=16517

I really appreciate your help and input!
Nur wenige wissen, wie viel man wissen muss, um zu wissen, wie wenig man weiss.
Only few know how much you have to know to know how little you know.

— Werner Heisenberg [German theoretical physicist]