Bleeds and margins requirements for POD

Previous topic - Next topic

Gas

Sorry if I bother you with such a simple question, but while I'm quite practical with word processing, DTP is a new universe to me.

In most POD services, they usually call for a PDF with margins and bleeds.
The rules are:

• If your book content don't exceed the stated margin, set the page at trim size (like, for example, 5x8) and don't set a bleed.
  • If you want for your content to be printed up to the page trim size (like for example a decoration that flood over the page - hard to explain, but surely you know what I mean) you need to add a bleed to the page size.
  • Such bleed must be set only for exterior sides, obviously.
  • "Please stay within a margin of 1 inch" seems to contradict the bleed (why something must be trimmed so deeply?)

So. I'm a bit confused.
If I've understood correctly, let's pretend I want to  make a book with bleeds, and such bleed is stated as 0.1 inch.
What I should do is

• Set single page
  • NOT set any bleed in Scribus
  • create a page size equal to 5.1 x 8.2
  • create two master pages (one for left and one for right pages) that somehow "tilt" the content on the proper side.
  • actual content should stay inside the margin (but I usually see page numbers way over the margins...)

I need a pre-emptive knowledge of that, as being european and the POD service USA based any proof material will be incredibly costly compared my actual needs.
Thank you.

utnik

hi gas

Quote from: Gas on March 03, 2021, 12:09:27 PM

• Such bleed must be set only for exterior sides, obviously.

...depends on the binding...

Quote...let's pretend I want to make a book with bleeds, and such bleed is stated as 0.1 inch.
What I should do is

• Set single page
  • NOT set any bleed in Scribus
  • create a page size equal to 5.1 x 8.2
  • create two master pages (one for left and one for right pages) that somehow "tilt" the content on the proper side.
  • actual content should stay inside the margin (but I usually see page numbers way over the margins...)

no! you should:

• set up a document with double pages
  • with a page size of 5"×8"
  • bleeds of 0.1" at top, bottom and outer edges (no bleed at the spine if the binding doesn't call for bleeds there)
  • create as many different master pages as you need for your layout
  • keep the main content inside of the margins

many pod services provide some templates...

utnik

Gas

Quote from: utnik on March 03, 2021, 01:55:52 PM

Very kind.
That IngramSpark guide was really confusing, the same from Amazon was way more clear about what a bleed is and the required formatting ("single page" is the PDF export option, you damned IngramSpark!!!).

I'd like to stay afar from templates as long as I can to learn the software the more I can. No pain no glory.

Thank you again. Should I mark the entry as SOLVED?

Nermander

Very very often when POD services give instructions for how to setup pages and bleed, they are kind of reading straight of the dialogue in InDesign, assuming that all their customers use InDesign.