Getting Scribus to use the default font in set-up

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleo

Can someone tell me how I persuade Scribus to use the font I want it to and not Arial?

I am editing a magazine in Scribus. One of the team set up the template and set it up with a default font of Perpetua. I opened the file and was given the option of converting to Arial because I did not have Perpetua on my version of Scribus. I closed the file and worked out how to get Perpetua. I had to download files so that I could get Perpetua on Scribus - so much for the programme reading off script in Perpetua - it doesn't - there was masses of Perpetua on the template I was using! I got Perpetua on there eventually.

Now if I type anything or insert any text whatever it appears in Scribus in Arial font. I have to change everything. Then if I move anything, add a bit or even just click on a bit of text it changes back to Arial. I have been driven absolutely mad because changing things back again and again to Perpetua when Scribus really only wants things in Arial is frustrating and time consuming. I have even had a heading change to Arial when all I did was convert the document to pdf. - it seems so unstable.

I can find no way of getting Scribus to follow the set-up instructions. I am unable to rewrite the whole template because images fall off Scribus (another of the programme's undesirable habits). I have no choice but to use the one I have been given. But I am spending, literally, hours changing the font of the text repeatedly.

How do I get Scribus to produce text in the font chosen in set-up?
I hope my question is clear - I am new to this programme and not particularly good with computers.

utnik

hi kleo

Quote from: Kleo on January 25, 2021, 03:46:35 AM
Can someone tell me how I persuade Scribus to use the font I want it to and not Arial?

I am editing a magazine in Scribus. One of the team set up the template and set it up with a default font of Perpetua. I opened the file and was given the option of converting to Arial because I did not have Perpetua on my version of Scribus. I closed the file and worked out how to get Perpetua. I had to download files so that I could get Perpetua on Scribus - so much for the programme reading off script in Perpetua - it doesn't - there was masses of Perpetua on the template I was using! I got Perpetua on there eventually.

Now if I type anything or insert any text whatever it appears in Scribus in Arial font. I have to change everything...

as i wrote in the other thread, you need to learn the basics.
the fonts are not 'in your version of scribus'. but they need to be installed on your system or in the folder which contains the .sla file or in a folder you listed in the scribus settings.
if you share your project with 'file' → 'collect for output', you can select the fonts to be included in the collection. then every contributor has access to the same font files.

in a project as big as a magazine you should really work with paragraph styles. otherwise the problems will grow with every step of your editing.

if you share your project with me i may be able to help more specific...

utnik

RodneyLee

Scribus (1.5.) for me always reverts to Ariel no matter what I set up as default when I return to the text box and click at the end of the text to start new text, I get around this by typing one character back adding that character and continue typing. does this also when I highlight text from left to right (beginning to end), when I highlight the opposite way it maintains the default font   

utnik

ok. i agree – scribus has (too) many places to define the font in use.

• in 'document setup' → 'item tools' → 'text' (used by default when nothing else is applied)
  • in 'edit' → 'styles' → 'default paragraph style' (used by default and after a paragraph break, as long as you didn't apply another font or style to the frame itself)
  • in 'edit' → 'styles' → some other style (used where applied – but reverted to default after a paragraph break)
  • by direkt formatting in 'text properties' (used where applied – but reverted to default after a paragraph break)
as you can see, there are many cases where the formatting jumps to 'default paragraph style'. for this reason the 'default paragraph style' should be defined as the main formatting of a magazine (or any text heavy project).

i got accustomed to all this. but i would prefer another behaviour where you could set a 'following paragraph style' as a part of the style definition...

utnik

JohnJR

Hi,

I note a fairly recent post on this in 01/2021, but I couldn't glean an answer.  Adopting to using Style Manager, when queried about font, the spin box always is set to Ariel and to select the font I need is a tedious scroll down to click the one I want, every time.  I have tried to follow the File>Document Setup>Item Tools>Text, but the old Ariel spin box just keeps coming back.  This is the case whether selecting either a Paragraph or Character Style.  What do I need to do?

This might have something to do with what I see in the Style Manager as Default Paragraph Style and/or Default Character Style.  Neither of these seems to be changable or delete-able.  Okay, the styles you created are or should be the new defaults grouped under them.  But there is also a category under these labeled "New Style" and can propagate itself as (1), (2),...  These are confusing and have no real meaning or use for your Styles that I can see.  But if you delete them entirely you still are left with "N" or "Ne" and a prompt to name them.  What do these do and I guess how do you get rid of them?

Also if you use a limited number of fonts, say two or three, can you set up a selection box containing just those fonts rather than the long scroll?

Somewhat related, In macOS it seems Paragraph and Character Styles can both be set in Paragraph Style; do I need to essentially duplicate fonts with a corresponding Character Style or does just Paragraph Style suffice for both?  Except for say the rare italicized or bold word and can they just be changed internally in the manner of a word processor?

I think maybe there are two questions mixed up in here that might need to be separated.

Thanks,

Thanks,