1.5.6.1 / Setting Default Paragraph Style

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister

Hi! I've just started using this program, but I've noticed that there is no way to have a different default paragraph style, other than the "Default Paragraph Style" which is not the style I prefer to use.

Is there a way to apply a default named style? I've created one, but having to apply it every. single. time. to a text field is getting old.

utnik

hi mister

why you don't just edit the settings of the 'default paragraph style'?
for files created in the future you may define some of the settings (like 'font', 'text size', 'text color', 'first line offset') in 'preferences' → 'item tools' → 'text' unfortunately you can't define a full paragraph style here. but if you need the same settings in different files, you should create a file with all the styles, colors, master pages, e.t.c. and save it as a template...

utnik

Mister

Unfortunately I didn't consider that when I started, but I'm pretty deep in. I'd like to keep the default settings in the event that I want to reset back to them, but I can't see of any reason why I shouldn't be able to have multiple paragraph styles and set one to be the 'default' style, instead of just having to edit the default style all the time.

What if someone were to have more than one project? Being able to apply a style and have it be 'on' throughout the use of that document seems like a reasonable option to me?

utnik

hi mister

Quote from: Mister on February 23, 2021, 08:37:56 PMWhat if someone were to have more than one project? Being able to apply a style and have it be 'on' throughout the use of that document seems like a reasonable option to me?

that's exactly how you should do it.
...and it is what i do – and for periodically returning projects i work with templates, where the styles (and lots of other things) are defined already.

utnik

Mister

You gave me a circular reply.

I am already thick into a document that I did not start from a template. Is there no way to make a newly defined paragraph style permanent while I'm working on my document?

I do not wish to modify the default paragraph style. I want make a NEWLY DEFINED paragraph style the default. Not have the default be ... the default.

Does this make sense to you?

utnik

hi mister

Quote from: Mister on February 24, 2021, 04:51:38 AMYou gave me a circular reply.

no. i just went on to your new question, as the rest reads for me as: "now i know, how i should do it, but i won't..." – and there i can't really help. i'm almost sure, there will be workarounds, either with the scripter or with a complex set of style exchanges (delete/replace styles) – but i don't work that way and it may be easier to screw up with it than to fix your problems.
take it as part of your learning – and the next time you use a new software, try to learn the basics on smaller projects...

utnik

Mister

You could have just told me "I don't know how to do it" or "It cannot be done", or "There isn't a simple workaround", instead of just saying 'Better luck next time, idiot'.