unlock master page items?

Previous topic - Next topic

andreasjohan

Hi, im wondering how to unlock master page items such as text frames and pictureframes? As in indesign ctrl-shift click...

After some googleing im suspecting this isent possible, and i wonder then how it is possible to make layouts and then follow them? Am i supposed to copy all items from a master page to a normal page and then edit them in order to keep my layout or is there a simplier way?

I find it really strange if a unlock master item function dosent exist, but maby its just my way of layouting thats strange...

Thanks

Meho R.

Short answer: you can't.

Master pages should be considered as backgrounds and "unlocking" elements placed on them is not possible (at least not yet; not sure about devs' intention regarding this). Actually, being able to do that in InDesign I personally consider a bug rather than a feature, since master pages are there to ensure consistency throughout a document and make things easier, while making some elements editable and breaking all links with their parent objects placed on master pages will definitely lead to inconsistencies. Rather place guides or objects which will enable you to position different elements on pages at exactly the same place, and don't forget to use Scrapbook for repetitive actions and precise positioning.

We had a discussion about the similar question some time ago, so having a look might prove useful.

Nermander

Yes, put your "page templates" in a scrapbook instead. (Note "a scrapbook", you can have many scrapbooks.)