Linked text boxes: text re-starts from beginning

Previous topic - Next topic

regus_pregus

I am observing an unexpected behavior in version 1.5.6.1

I have three pages, each page contains a text box, and all these text boxes are linked to each other so that a long multi-paragraph text overflows from page 1 to page 2 to page 3. And it works great.

Then I add an image box to page 2 and configure it so that text flows around the shape of this box. And it works fine to - text on page 2 flows around the image as expected.

Then strange things begin to happen. If I make the image on page 2 big enough to displace the text from page 2 entirely, the text on page 3 restarts from the beginning, instead of continuing from page 1. So I end up with page 3 showing the same text as page 1, which is obviously not good. All text boxes continue to be linked.

Interestingly enough, this unexpected behavior occurs only when the paragraphs in the text have either "don't separate first >0 lines" or "do not split the paragraph" options on. At the same time "don't separate last >0 lines" does not cause the problem. So seems like some sort of a bug.

Did anyone encounter this behavior and is there a workaround?

utnik

hi regus_pregus
Quote from: regus_pregus on January 24, 2021, 03:20:24 AM...Did anyone encounter this behavior and is there a workaround?

i never saw this before, but a short test wirt scribus1.5.7 triggered the same restart of the text.
the best workaround for the moment might be to delete the unused text frame on page two.

utnik

Katewerk

Quote from: regus_pregus on January 24, 2021, 03:20:24 AM
I am observing an unexpected behavior in version 1.5.6.1

I have three pages, each page contains a text box, and all these text boxes are linked to each other so that a long multi-paragraph text overflows from page 1 to page 2 to page 3. And it works great.

Then I add an image box to page 2 and configure it so that text flows around the shape of this box. And it works fine to - text on page 2 flows around the image as expected.

Then strange things begin to happen. If I make the image on page 2 big enough to displace the text from page 2 entirely, the text on page 3 restarts from the beginning, instead of continuing from page 1. So I end up with page 3 showing the same text as page 1, which is obviously not good. All text boxes continue to be linked.

Interestingly enough, this unexpected behavior occurs only when the paragraphs in the text have either "don't separate first >0 lines" or "do not split the paragraph" options on. At the same time "don't separate last >0 lines" does not cause the problem. So seems like some sort of a bug.

Did anyone encounter this behavior and is there a workaround?

I've been having repeated problems with this behavior, and simply deleting the repeated text isn't a good workaround. The problem reoccurs nearly every time I save the working file. The worst part is that if uncorrected, it can delay or even prevent the file from opening the next time you want to work on it. It has nothing to do with image boxes, by the way. It can occur even in text boxes that have only a few lines of content.

My question is where do I find those options to turn the paragraphs options off?