Place objects from master page above the objects on the page

Previous topic - Next topic

regus_pregus

Levels work great when you need to control which object overlaps which object on the page - simply assign a higher level to one object than another and that one object will render above the other object. Very simple and logical. However, things become more complicated when you have an object inherited from the master page and want it to render above other objects added specifically to that page - it appears that the level numbers are separate for the master page and the page and they don't mix - objects on the master page are always at the lower actual level than the objects specifically added to the page, no matter what level numbers you assign to them. This is great if you want all your master page objects to be always on the background, but totally not great when you need one of you master page objects to hover above page objects. One practical example where it is needed: page numbers stored as a master page object vs. a page-specific page-wide background that you want to be below that page number. Any hack how I can overcome this? I really don't want to give up on a good practice of placing page number object on the master page...

utnik

hi regus_pregus

in scribus1.4 this is a bit tricky: you need a differrent master page with the background behind the page number or a page number on the actual master page.
but since scribus1.5.0 the master pages can have different layers. i once wrote a tutorial (in german) in wich i played with the page numbers. you'll find it here. (if you aren't able to read german, just play with the attached test file...)

utnik

regus_pregus

Quote from: utnik on January 23, 2021, 08:46:43 AM
in scribus1.4 this is a bit tricky: you need a differrent master page with the background behind the page number or a page number on the actual master page.
but since scribus1.5.0 the master pages can have different layers. i once wrote a tutorial (in german) in wich i played with the page numbers. you'll find it here. (if you aren't able to read german, just play with the attached test file...)

Thank you, I understand German (albeit don't speak it actively), will check out your tutorial now.

regus_pregus

Quote from: utnik on January 23, 2021, 08:46:43 AM

Thank you so much, it worked perfectly, exactly what I needed!