Scribus crashes on loading book of images

Previous topic - Next topic

yakevigatad

Are there any known issues with Scribus when it comes to working with books full of images?  I have a 200-page book with a hi-res image on most pages, and my latest Scribus file for the book won't open.  It loads to 99% and then crashes, providing me with no error message except the attached, which simply tells me that Scribus has crashed.

Am I using the wrong software for an image-heavy book, or are there ways to work with images to keep Scribus from crashing like this?  (I'm using Scribus version 1.4.8 on an Asus ROG Windows 10 computer.)

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi yakevigatad

it could be a memory issue. hundreds of images may eat up a lot of ram.
your machine could be on the weak side for this job (or you're running the 32 bit version of scribus instead of 64 bit...)
what is your preview setting for the images? – a lower preview quality might help
if nothing else works, you could split your book in parts and combine the .pdf files later.

utnik

mnawij

Hi yakevigatad,

Open Scribus without a file opened, and edit the preferences to change the on screen preview to low resolution and then try to open your file, see attached.  Then as utnik suggested, break the book down into smaller sections such as chapters or by pages. I regularly have done booklets that are 80-100 pages, just not image intensive as your description and have no problems. I am not real good with xml, but there might be a way to edit the file in a text editor to make smaller sections without having to open the file in Scribus, maybe someone else could chime in on this.

Cheers!

mnawij

[attachment deleted by admin]