Open file dialog takes too long to open in version 1.4

Previous topic - Next topic

zmelo

Hi all !

I installed version 1.4 of Scribus  and the file open menu takes a very long time to open, compared to the version 1.3.
Is anybody having the same issue?

zmelo

Forgot to say it´s the Windows version,  XP pro SP-3, sorry...

zmelo

Hi everybody !

Seems  I am the only one facing this problem. :(; So, I did some research and solved this problem by installing the latest QT4 library, version (4.8.0 (VS2008)), downloaded from Nokia's site. Changed the library path with Qtconfig.exe (in Scribus folder) to point to the newly installed  library and presto!!!, file open dialog is now fast as a greased lightning!.

The bad part was to download a 273 MB file that after installed took almost 2 GB of disk space :o.

zmelo

Meho R.

Thanks for posting the solution you found, much appreciated.

a.l.e

hi zmelo,

on the one side this looks like an interesting found... but on the other side, i wonder if you didn't somehow manually set the qt version in the past, and this is the reason why your copy of scribus now runs slowly.

... the other explanation, would be that qt had a bug related to the menus which happened only on ms windows xp and now has  been fixed in a new release.

since scribus will certainly use the newer version of qt in future versions, i'm not sure whether it's worth to post a bug report about this or no...
i suggest, that we wait and see if other people report the same problem...

have fun
a.l.e

zmelo

Hi  everybody!

I think I made a goof in my troubleshooting of this matter. :(
The slowness is back!
I did again the same procedure to no avail.
Did I confuse the scribus versions? Very likely, because I found the qtconfig.exe in the 1.3 folder.
Anyway, I can stand this. What´s one or two minutes of waiting time?

What intrigues me is to be the only person reporting on this.

Sorry for any inconveniences.

zmelo

Nermander

My guess is that the Open dialog is somehow trying to reach a path (network share?) that is not available and you have to wait for a timeout.

Kris

I get the same issue. I've tested in on computer which is connected to network (with mapped drives) and computer without network (internet only).

In both cases result was the same. Opening document, adding an image from disk, took about a 30 sec.

Nermander - I was thinking about the same, but when I installed Sribus on my home comp. there was the same problem.

Regards,
Krzysiek

GG

Hallo,
has anyone come up with a solution to this problem.
I still have to wait for about 30 sec to open a file...
Regards,
GG :-[

PS: Windows XP (sorry, but can't change that), Scribus 1.4.3

GarryP

Just in case it helps the troubleshooting, I've just checked an XP (32bit, Pro, SP3) installation of Scribus 1.4.3 on an OSX (10.6.8 ) BootCamp partition - no LAN connection but with internet via WiFi, Qt not installed - and the "Open" dialog works just fine. No delays.

However, I was wondering, and this is a long shot: Have you recently purchased a Western Digital external drive?

These sometimes have a habit of going to sleep at what seems like random times - even on desktop machines, and you can't change the settings without doing some really scary techie stuff. Once asleep they can take quite a while to wake up, even if you're not actually accessing them. So anything accessing any drive could show a delay while the drive spins back up to working speed.

(I wish I knew this before buying mine but it's been a few years so I'm sort of used to it by now, but it's still annoying when everything just stops for a while. It's nothing like 30 seconds but it breaks "the flow".)

GG

Hallo again,
this is a notebook, there is no external harddisk attached. The internal harddisk is from Hitachi.

But it looks as though I have found a solution now. The computer lacked access to some external server-hosted drives (which appeared in the explorer). After I closed the connection to those in the explorer the file-window opened instantly.
The funny thing is that Scribus 1.3.3 didn't have the same problem. Why?
And is there a way to tell Scribus only to look in C-drive?
Any help is appreciated.
(-:

Nermander

I think the Open dialog probably uses a functions of Explorer, so I guess the Open dialog in other programs will also be slow?

GG

Nope,
the only program with this problem is Scribus 1.4 (not even Scribus 1.3.3.).
Funny!

trixr

I'm using Scribus 1.4.3 with Windows 7 64-bit, 8 GB of memory. 1 GB AMD graphics. Slow as a wet week opening files. Much slower than the Linux version.

I had nothing else using Qt on this system before I downloaded and installed Scribus. It reports version 4.8.4.

Certainly no issues with the Explorer dialogue with any other software - including Java apps - on this machine.

No external devices. I have noticed if you FINALLY get to open a document or create a new one, if you close it while leaving the application open, the more simple file picker works much faster next time. But importing images and so on ... s l o o o w.

If it hasn't been reported as a bug, it should be.