Cant change image to foil

Previous topic - Next topic

arnevlaminck

Hello, how can i change the color of an image to foil? I created a card and has some foil print on it, the foil goes on the written part, but the images aren't. I put the images as colorized then foil. But according to the printing company, there is no foil, just gold color.

I got a test print, that showed that

mnawij

Usually it is a separate file or layer either 100% black or another specified color. You cannot foil bitmap/raster images (there is an exception but 99% of users do not know how or have the software to do it).  It also depends if your printer will be hot foil stamping which he needs to make a negative film and die or if the foil will be digital in which case the foil is imprinted at the same time as the sheet is printed.  I would ask them for instructions on file setup and then share that here...

Cheers!

mnawij

Nermander

I would say this would be the same thing as using spot colors, right?

mnawij

Hi Nermander,

Yes spot colors could be an option if the printer is using the film and die process of foiling, otherwise digital inline foiling usually requires a mask or an additional foil layer with a specific name or color to the artwork. I use the film and die option and I usually have customers label a spot color as "FOIL" in the artwork. The OP needs to communicate with their printer to determine how the artwork needs to be set up.

Cheers!

mnawij