inserting an image frame into text frame

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnJR

Hi,

I have what is probably a beginner question, but here goes.  I created a double-page document, inserted text frame size to match the margins, and selected automatic text frames.  After some fumbling around, the text was added although not in the original font (from LibreOffice).  I used windows>properties to get the proper font.  The text happened to run to 16 pages and really is two articles, one starts at the top of page one and the other at mid-point of page seven.

At the beginning of each section I wanted to insert a .jpg image into an image frame at the top of each article.  I was hoping the  text would politely slide down to accommodate the image.  That didn't happen, instead the image just covered over the text.  I was then hoping I could just select the text frame and edit the text like in a word processor to just move it down out of the way with returns (I recall Utnik doesn't like this anyway)  Of course the text in the frame didn't select and essentially was immutable.

I did try selecting the text frame on first page and hitting delete.  The entire text did move down to the following pages, but the the page in question became just a margin/frame outline that seemed to allow no operations except edit>undo, which thankfully restored the text back.

So my question becomes: how do I insert that image into the text frame and have the text accommodate the addition?  Do I have to create new master pages, which seems a can of worms on its own, or can I just edit the text (somehow) to get it out of the way?

Thanks,

John

AdmFubar

You have to select the image option to flow the text around the image.In the properties dialog/window look for the shape option. the default selection in "disabled". Pick the option that will for for your layout.:)
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

JohnJR

Hi,

Thank you, so easy.

By the way, the format of the text showed an awkward space at the bottom of the mid-page where the second image would have appeared.  I inserted an image frame to fill that space, and using your suggestion, the text moved on to the next page.  I left the image frame empty and the result was a blank space, just fine.  I then went to the top of the next page and added the image I wanted. The exporter to print created an error notice that there was no image selected for the blank frame, which I clicked to ignore and the print came out with a blank space at the bottom, just fine.

Thanks,

John

dragonfly

To avoid the "no image selected" errors you could keep blank images in your image library for such "shims".