File sharing problems with PDFs

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyB

My partner and I work on the same file for a publication via a common Dropbox location.  She enters all of the content and I tweak it. Recently, if I edit the document by adding a new pdf or adjusting a frame, etc. my partner can't see the pdfs.  She can see everything else, just not the pdfs. 
We have resorted to using the Collect for Output function, but this is annoying and we didn't use to have to do this.  Any thoughts?

Randy

digirew

The PDF/Images you bring into Scribus are not "embedded" into the document by default.  It will store a relative path to the graphic file... so my guess is that something has changed with your dropbox setup and both users cant see the same path to the graphic.

If you right click on an image frame and select Image >Embed image, then it will get embedded into the doc..... if your grpahics are large, maybe its not a good idea to do this as it will balloon your SLA file.

utnik

Quote from: digirew on December 20, 2020, 04:22:46 AMIf you right click on an image frame and select Image >Embed image, then it will get embedded into the doc..... if your grpahics are large, maybe its not a good idea to do this as it will balloon your SLA file.

i would prefer to put a copy of the .pdf file into the folder inside your dropbox where you store the images of your project before you place it in your file (or to relink it to this copy via 'extras' → 'manage images'). so both of you should see the placed file without the exploding file size.

utnik

AdmFubar

I've not tried this personally for the likes of google drive... but perhaps  the 'collect for output' option would be a better selection here.
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

RandyB

Thank you Admfubar.  I have to use the Collect for Output function now, which works fine.  But, it clutters things up a bit and I didn't have to use that in the past.

Thank you utnik. I was not aware of the Extras > Manage Images option, which revealed a "Path" problem. 
For example, when my partner would open our shared working file from Dropbox and open the Extras > Manage Images, the path to all of the images pointed to the Dropbox location of those images on her C: drive, whereas the one image that I added had a path pointing the image on my hard drive, which she, of course, could not see. She could only see the red X with the image name inside the image frame.

Conversely, when my partner would make a change or addition, the path for all images (in the Extras > Manage Images window) pointed to her dropbox location when she opened the file and they pointed to my dropbox location when I opened the file, and both of us could see the images.

The question is, "Why do I overwrite her path when I add an image?"  I believe it has to do with the way I have Dropbox set up. 

One thing I did not mention is that I am running Scribus 1.4.8 in a Windows 10 virtual machine on my MacBook using Parallels.  My Dropbox files are set up on the Mac side, but the path she sees is to my Windows VM.  (I used to use Scribus on the Mac side with no problems, but when I upgraded to Catalina and now Big Sur OS, Scribus 1.4.8 no longer works.) 

I plan on downloading the Dropbox app to the Windows 10 VM and add all the files to that VM and see if that fixes the path problem.  Thank you utnik, Admfubar and digirew for your responses.  I will post the findings of my experiment.