Scribus won't find files

Previous topic - Next topic

Floyd P

I've been using Scribus for years.  Today, when  I tried to insert a picture, the dialog box is changed and does not display any files, no matter what I do. It shows "My computer", but there are no files and I can't change directories.  I have downloaded the most recent version, gone through all the options I could imagine, but I can't get the program to import either graphics or text.  It doesn't even display the file.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

[attachment deleted by admin]

GnKnG

probably all is fine --- give scribus plenty of time to search through directories on start up (i have sometimes found file-navigator unresponsive until that is done...but it should get there in the end :)

Floyd P

Thanks, but I've had it running for several hours today.  It doesn't find any files.

GnKnG

:/ - that sounds less good - are you confident with IT? (i.e. you did say you have used scribus for years..) > you have done all the usual basics; close app, log-off, restart-machine ... ???
I have not used scribus for very long, but is a little gem so I am happy to help if I can.

Floyd P

I have used it for years for our newsletter.  I never had a problem with it. I did all the obvious things - restart, turn off and back on, download latest version, made sure that the files were available and usable on windows explorer went through all the menus many times, reset to defaults, etc.  I've pretty comfortable with using IT.  My first computer had two 5 1/4 floppies so I've been around a long time.

GnKnG

ok- I can only repeat that i have had issues with slow initial connection to directories > app eventually pulls through...maybe hardware issue?HDD? any other recent changes maybe? ((using Win7-64 btw)
Good Luck

Floyd P

Thanks for your interest and assistance.  I haven't done a newsletter in several months because of Covid. There have been no hardware changes, but there have been Windows updates.  Other programs access and use files without any problems so I think it is not a hardware problem nor a Windows issue.  I am under a deadline to do the newsletter so I'll just redo it with Microsoft Publisher.  I hate to leave Scribus, but it's not working for me.

GnKnG

understood - hope you get time to check back with scribus and root the problem out...file a #bug (if you get to it + if you did not already do so)

AdmFubar

Quote from: Floyd P on November 20, 2020, 07:24:08 PM
I've been using Scribus for years.  Today, when  I tried to insert a picture, the dialog box is changed and does not display any files, no matter what I do. It shows "My computer", but there are no files and I can't change directories.  I have downloaded the most recent version, gone through all the options I could imagine, but I can't get the program to import either graphics or text.  It doesn't even display the file.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
This sound like an OS issue. Can you open my computer from your desktop and navigate to files?
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

Floyd P

I can access files with "My Computer" and other programs.  I only have the problem with Scribus.

AdmFubar

Ok it is definitely a Scribus based issue. My next suggestion if exit Scribus if it is running and renaming the .scribus config/user prefs. It may be giving you an issue if is damaged.Then restart scribus and see how it behaves.
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

Nermander

I think it may be a QT issue rather than actual Scribus issue.

RodneyLee

does Scribus allow you drag and drop files onto it?

Floyd P

I had not tried drag and drop, but that does work.