Cleaning Up stderror

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek

Backstory: I publish a community magazine. Copy is sent to me in a range of formats which, to date, means I've had to take a lot of different actions to get it into a Scribus document ready for tidying up. I believe I can save myself a lot of time and effort by automating the repetitive tasks at the start of that workflow. I'm working on a script to read the copy from a folder and create a document with the text and image objects ready to copy into the current edition of the magazine to be restyled, reformatted and resized as necessary.

The problem: For the first time in about 4 years I've had reason to take a look at the stderr from a script running under Python. I don't know whether I should be concerned by much of what I see. Clearly some is caused by bugs in my own script (which will get fixed as I develop it) but a lot  seems to indicate possible installation/configuration problems with my system - notably the first two lines in the attached stderr file. I'd like to clean this up as much as possible/reasonable.

My thinking: Try reinstalling OpenSceneGraphic and libvncclient(?). Failing that reinstall Scribus. I'm wary of any of this, though, because I don't want to damage a Scribus installation that produces a good product and may take some time to get back to stability.

My question: What is the most sensible approach to dealing with this? Perhaps I just get the script working properly, direct stderr to /dev/null, and stop overthinking this?

System Info (No doubt this will not be sufficient)

Linux derek-HP 5.4.74-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Nov 1 13:43:13 UTC 2020 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Scribus Version 1.5.5
31 July 2019
Build ID: C--T-F-C1.17.3-64bit
Using Ghostscript version 9.53.3

[attachment deleted by admin]

Derek

It turned out I needed Python 3 for some of what I'm trying to do, so I've upgraded to:

Scribus Version 1.5.6.svn
31 March 2020
Build ID: C--T-F-C1.16.0-64bit
Using Ghostscript version 9.26

I need to test and upgrade some other scripts anyway so I aim to get that done by the time 1.5.6 is in the Manjaro repositories.

Its behaviour seems a little different to what I reported in the OP so I'll report back when I know more.