Community > Showcase

Comments Appreciated to Improve My First Effort

<< < (2/2)

Nermander:
I think that looks like a lot of improvement.

One thing though, when you are using adjusted text (adjusted to both margins), you should also use hyphenation, to avoid streaks of white in the text block.

Also now I have not looked at the text in printed scale, that's where you need to make the text size easy to read. Too small or too big text is hard to read, it depends a lot on the viewing distance. I think the body text may be a bit on the too large side. Or maybe it just looks like that because the justification gives a lot of shite areas (especially combined with the drop caps).

Oh, right, drop caps should not be overused. They are hard to read. I would not use it more than once on a page.

I haven't investigated now what font you use, but rememeber that a lot of the standard fonts may not be very good. Also using standard fonts may make it like like an amatarur has made the design. For example using Time New Roman will make it look like somthing done in Word:) I once read something like "never use the Windows standard fonts".

Trying out different fonts can actually be quite a big part of making a good design.

achalk:
Thanks!

To address your questions..

Garamond 16pt.

I cannot figure out how to restrict drop caps to the first paragraph.

I am spending a lot of time experimenting with fonts!

More coming.

- A

dragonfly:
One thought I have if you are constantly trying out new fonts.

Follow the ScribusGenerator.py tutorial (there is a video).

Create a test version of your document into which your drop the variable VAR_font.

Then create a csv with list of fonts you wish to try, as VAR_font, dynamically.

This is batch testing of fonts and other attributes in documents.

Basically ScribusGenerator.py can be used for much more than business cards layout.

Nermander:

--- Quote from: achalk on November 20, 2020, 12:50:54 am ---I cannot figure out how to restrict drop caps to the first paragraph.

--- End quote ---

I haven't used drops caps in Scribus, but likely you need different paragraph styles with and without drop caps.

When creating styles, I usually start with the body text style, then almost all other styles are based on that one and get added properties.

For example in some cases using the body text immedately after a heading does not work well, or needs to be a bit different, so a separate style is needed for that.

I don't have any good tips about fonts, but there are probably web pages out there giving examples of alternatives.

A good font manager is very useful, where you can group and categorize your fonts. I seem to have Nexusfont installed, I think I installed that one efter upgrading to Windows 10, because the program I used before did not work under Windows 10.

With a font manager you can make it so you don't have to see the fonts you want to avoid bu can't uninstall.

One thing to consider is that if you mave massive blocks of text, a font with a small x-height helps a normal reader to see the words (a lot of people actually read words as images, and a small x-height with strong ascenders and descenders helps that). But people with reading issues like dyslexia need other types of fonts.

So fonts is an even bigger area than layout...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version