Video Editor - Typesetting - New - Hi

Previous topic - Next topic

Typesetting

Hi, I'm new here, I look forward to using Scribus :)

I primarily approached the software as I am wanting to properly typeset text for a short film, so I am wanting to export files with transparency to lay over my videos with the utmost care for kerning, and general typesetting.

I also have a general interest in typesetting and layout which I hope to develop further using the app.

I'd appreciate any guidance members of the community might have for me, especially in regards to my current priority of using the app for typesetting for video!

Thanks, and I look forward to coming here and using Scribus.

a.l.e

i would create one file with the matching proportions and a meaningful size.

then export it to pdf and finally convert each page of the pdf to a png with a transparent background.
(you can use inkscape for that or any of the several (command line) tools that allow you to create a bunch of pngs.

just ask if you need more infos...

RodneyLee

Scribus seems to make transparent .png just fine using export image/png/no background, so why go thru any extra steps

a.l.e

because scribus is not made for creating PNGs but for creating PDFs.

i'm well aware that scribus can export images, but i tend to suggest its usage only for creating thumbnails.

as an example, in this case, it's not straight forward to export the image to a given number of pixels.
which is what the original posters will probably need.
it's possible to do it. i am sure of it. but it's not a feature you can directly achieve with scribus.

of course, if you have made good experiences with exporting to PNG, you're welcome to make different suggestions.

digirew

I would export from scribus using postscript files.

And then use a command line tool to batch process the postscript files into PNG etc. I highly recommend using imagemagick https://imagemagick.org/index.php

The more I think about it, it would be awesome if scribus actually used something like imagemagick to generate the image files in the backend.

a.l.e

no, suggesting to use postscript is not really a good hint (except if you need postscript, of course)

the best output from scribus is the pdf. use that.

and nobody stops you from using imagemagick in the background. you can even write a script that monitors your filesystem and triggers the conversion as soon as the pdf file has been created.

digirew

Im assuming that scribus is using the postscript file to generate the PDF in the first place.

If you take a PDF for the purpose to convert to an image, you would probably loose quality VS. using the postscript file directly?

jghali

>> Im assuming that scribus is using the postscript file to generate the PDF in the first place.

That's totally not correct. Postscript does not support things such as transparency or layers in the first place, so producing PDFs with transparency or layers would not be possible if we were using a postscript file to generate PDFs.

>> If you take a PDF for the purpose to convert to an image, you would probably loose quality VS. using the postscript file directly?

Not correct either.

digirew

Thanks for the corrections... learning something new here.

(From my previous experience with using eps files, the png files always had better quality vs. using a PDF to convert to a png.... obviously there is a lot of variables to consider and never thought about the layers etc).