Malfunction of styles

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfred

Hello everyone,

In short:
I open a new document, I import the text, I create a style but, when I apply the style the text does not format as I want so I am forced to manually enter the font, alignment, spacing etc.

Using Scribus 1.5.6. on Linux Mint 20;
i have already tried to delete and reinstall but, negative result.
the question is: can I do something to eliminate this malfunction?

Thank you...

utnik

hi alfred

usually styles work flawless...
how are you applying the style?
could you share a file with an applied style to some paragraphs which don't show  the defined attributes of this style?

utnik

Alfred

Hi utnik,

Thanks for the reply,
I have no difficulty in sending you the file, it is a small example of a very simple recipe book,
the imported text is a very normal RTF file; prepared styles and applied but, to me on my system, they don't work.

I have been using Scribus for several years and had never had any difficulty with styles.

P.S. I apologize for the English, it is not my mother tongue.

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi alfred

when i opened your file, the whole text was displayed in 'liberation serif regular' and in the 'text properties' the different styles have been applied. i could correct the styles with the story editor (by re-applying the already applied styles...)
a look into the source code of the file showed that there was a direct formatting with 'liberation serif' on top of the styles. this direct formatting overruns the style settings.
you have to be careful with mixtures of styles and 'in frame' settings.

utnik

Alfred

Hi utnik,

I didn't understand when you say there is direct formatting with 'liberation serif' above the styles
I have not done any formatting or at least I think I have not done it,

my workflow is this:
- I prepare the text with OpenOffice and save it in RTF;
- I open a new Scribus document;
- page size and margins;
- I import the text and prepare and apply the styles as needed.

I've always worked this way and never had any problems, only now it happens to me that the styles applied seem to have no influence on the text.
If you let me figure out how to avoid that direct formatting I would be grateful.

Thank you for your time...

Alfred

utnik

hi alfred

why do you use .rtf?
...and how are you importing the text?

the content of your file looks like that:

<StoryText>
    <DefaultStyle PARENT="Default Paragraph Style"/>
    <ITEXT FONT="Liberation Serif Regular" FCOLOR="FromRtf#000000" CH="NU­VO­LET­TE DI PA­TA­TE SOF­FI­CIS­SI­ME"/>
    <para PARENT="TITLE"/>
    <ITEXT FONT="Liberation Serif Regular" FCOLOR="FromRtf#000000" CH="In­gre­dien­ti per cir­ca 20 nu­vo­let­te di pa­ta­te:"/>
    <para PARENT="INGREDIENTI"/>
    <ITEXT FONT="Liberation Serif Regular" FCOLOR="FromRtf#000000" CH="Pa­ta­te 500 g"/>
    <breakline/>
    <ITEXT FONT="Liberation Serif Regular" FCOLOR="FromRtf#000000" CH="Par­mi­gia­no grat­tu­gia­to 50 g"/>

to format your text with paragraph styles there shouldn't be any definition for font or color between <ITEXT and />. otherwise this definitions will overwrite those from the paragraph style.

what i didn't recognise before is that the direct formatting seems to be imported from the .rtf file...

utnik

Alfred

Hi utnik

You ask me why I use RTF, simply because I have always used RTF and until now without problems.
I understood the problem from your description in fact, I opened the .SLA file in a text editor and I saw the definition of font or color between ITEXT and /; but i don't understand how to avoid this.

You ask me how I import the text, I answer 'as I have always done' I attach an image;

Anyway I did further test: I took the text and pasted it into a text editor making it a pure text file .TXT I imported that and everything worked fine.
I have to agree that the problem is not Scribus but RTF, and I think importing plain text is the best or can you recommend a better alternative?

Thanks for the competence and cooperation, much appreciated ...

Alfred

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi alfred

if you intend to import just the text (without any formatting), you should either use a pure text file (.txt) or select 'import text only' ('importa solo testo') in the import window, when you use .odt, .rtf or other files with formatted text.

utnik

Alfred

Hi utnik

I definitely follow your advice,
- problem solved -

I hope I can hear from you,
Thanks for collaboration...

Alfred