opening up a scribus .sla file does not open the document itself?

Previous topic - Next topic

digirew

Is there a reason why when I double click scribus .sla document files, it opens the scribus application but not the document itself?

I then need to double click the .sla file again for it to open up.

a.l.e

no, i think that if your system is correctly setup, scribus should open the document you double clicked.

but, i'm not an expert in that matter, since i always first start the program and then the document / project.
in my eyes

- it helps when multiple programs can open the same type of file
- you can use the recent files feature
- in my experience at the end you know better where your files are on the disk.

(i just checked: you can also drop a scribus file on the "file > open" dialog... as a workaround, if double clicking does not work for you)

Nermander

That is usually not a problem with the application, but how the file associations are configured in the operating system/file managers.

When double clicking a file the operating system exceutes a command, giving the file name as a parameter.

For example in Windows my Open association for SLA files looks like this:
"C:\Program Files\Scribus 1.5.2\Scribus.exe" "%1"

Where the %1 is replaced the file name when I double click a SLA file.

digirew

I just tried this on my windows machine, double clicking the .sla file , it opens the application and the doc as it should.

I believe it's a bug on the Mac side. Im running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. I also tried this on another 10.14.6 machine and got the same results.

Anyone else on this platform that can confirm? is there an "easy" workaround?

I do not see any issues with file associations and its showing its setup correctly.

dragonfly

I use XMLCopyEditor to inspect the inner code of Scribus *.sla but I am on Ubuntu.

For Mac you will need to use an alternative XML editor.

utnik

hi digirew

Quote from: digirew on September 19, 2020, 02:10:59 PMI believe it's a bug on the Mac side. Im running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. I also tried this on another 10.14.6 machine and got the same results.

i'm on macOS 10.14.6 as well, but here a double click on a .sla file opens scribus and the file. but there was a time when i had the same issue.
a quick test (right click and 'open with') shows:

• version 1.4.8 → scribus launches and opens the file.
  • version 1.5.5 → scribus launches with an empty window.
  • version 1.5.6 (r24014) → scribus launches and opens the file.
if you're working with scribus 1.5.5, you have the choice between an update or living with two more steps...

utnik

digirew

thanks for confirming the issue is in 1.5.5 and not setup related to my machines (I am running 1.5.5).

Are you able to comment how stable 1.5.6 is in comparison to 1.5.5?

Im searching the scribus site, I cant seem to find the downloads for 1.5.6.

utnik

hi digirew

imho scribus 1.5.6 is as stable as 1.5.5.
you'll find it here.

utnik

digirew

Hello utnik,

thanks for this link. I installed 1.5.6 and it now seems to open correctly.

Just curious if you know, or if there is a development roadmap posted someplace as too when 1.5.6 will eventually be released?  (I'm quite new to scribus and not familiar with the release cycles)

utnik

hi digirew

Quote from: digirew on September 21, 2020, 08:33:56 PM...if there is a development roadmap posted someplace as too when 1.5.6 will eventually be released?

well, there is 'sort of' a roadmap for scribus 1.6 (the next stable release) – it's 'scheduled for release 2017-06-30'.

utnik