Unable to start Scribus after an update

Previous topic - Next topic

a.l.e

sorry to tell you it only now but: you're on the wrong path.

you don't need to compile scribus. in the worst case, you should use the appimage.
in the best and most likely case, you should fix the state of your packages and install scribus 1.4 or 1.5 through the package manager.

i'm traveling right now, and since i have never used linux mint, it's hard for to me to make a real diagnose.

what is likely not to work: installing and uninstalling again and again the same version of scribus.

what you can do?

in you package manager you can check which version of scribus you have installed.
and which version of Qt4.

by pure chance, they are easy to compare:

- if you have scribus 1.4 you need Qt4
- if you have scribus 1.5 you need Qt5

if you have a mismatch you need to install the version of Qt that matches your scribus version.

with a 19.2 version, there are some chances that you can install both Qt4 and Qt5.
in a 20.x version the chances are big that Qt4 is not there anymore.

of course if mint 19.2 does not carry Qt4, you will need to upgrade to scribus 1.5 and install Qt 5.

hope that helps... without seeing your computer or installing mint there is not much more that i can do for you : - )

and if all this fails: just get the appimage... it's a bit slower, it uses more memory, but it (should) just works!
(you can take the appimage for  1.5.5 or the latest development 1.5.6 appimage).
i can provide the link if you don't find them (as soon as i'm not in a train anymore...)

ciao
a.l.e

dragonfly

I suggested that link which gives lists of dependencies (since you started by listing ldd).
However a much easier route is to use Synaptic Package Manager (search scribus after opening GUI) to install the package of choice.

Archibaldix

OK.
Well.
I did this :
Check my version installed through the package manager, result : 1.4.8-ubuntu18.04-ppa
Than i install all things i could found related to QT4, means this :  sudo apt install qt4-default
Also these : apt install libqt4-dbus libqt4-declarative libqt4-designer libqt4-dev libqt4-dev-bin libqt4-help libqt4-network libqt4-opengl libqt4-opengl-dev libqt4-qt3support libqt4-script libqt4-scripttools libqt4-sql   libqt4-sql-mysql libqt4-svg libqt4-test libqt4-xml libqt4-xmlpatterns libqtcore4 libqtdbus4 libqtgui4 qdbus qt-at-spi qt4-linguist-tools qt4-qmake qtcore4-l10n
This : apt-rdepends --build-depends --follow=DEPENDS qt4-qmake and this one : apt-rdepends --build-depends --follow=DEPENDS libqt4-dev

Couldn't open Scribus anyway.
So I decided to update my whole computer.
I did it and i'm now on Linux Mint 19.3.
I tryed again to start srcibus but doesn't work.
As i say "tryed to", it means, i can see in the Menu that Scribus is there like before. But clicking on it nothing appears.
I tryed to find a way to start it from the terminal but i found nothing.
I also deleted the Scribus15 folder that was from the compilation.
Finally completely purged scribus.

Of course I saw that I could use the APP image. I had a bug with version 1.5.3 so I took image 1.5.1. It works well with this one and i can open my files like before.
But why is it no longer possible to have Scribus installed stably as before? Are we definitely forgetting the previous system?
No difference on the horizon with this Appimage? I will not have a bug or other when i save file or exporting PDF ? (I use scribus all the time)

It is an honor for me to imagine that someone on a train on the planet is guiding me through my problems. Thank you very much for the attention. As far as I'm concerned, I'm at the center of Europe in a country called Belgium.
To be continued pending your feedback on the stability of the Appimage. And then I'll wait for version 1.5. appear in the software manager to reinstall it from there ?

A.

a.l.e

well, all feel to be at the center of europe : - )
except those who feel forgotten at its borders.

first, 1.4.8 is not compatible with 1.5.x (this means that if you had 1.5.x in the past, you won't be able to open your files with 1.4; of course 1.5.x can open files from 1.4.8)

if you use an appimage, you should use the latest one. 1.5.5. not 1.5.3 nor 1.5.1. if you have a bug that affects you, you should go for the latest 1.5.6svn and update it regularly.

also: you don't seem to be specially comfortable with the command line: you should probably install your software with a GUI tool...
this link https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1525 suggests that linux mint has a "software manager". you might want to use it.
apt is very powerful but it also gives you more chances to screw up everything.

further one: why aren't you installing mint 20?
ok, it's not a good number, but trying to be behind it's mostly the source of hassle.

ok, the fact that gimp might not be available is a bit scary... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint_version_history

finally, in order to start scribus from a terminal (and getting a clue of why it does not start) you simply type scribus and then return in a terminal.

there is one last information that could help sort out the issue: if you type "which scribus" in a terminal, what does it spit out?

Nermander

Quote from: Archibaldix on September 18, 2020, 08:02:49 PM
As i say "tryed to", it means, i can see in the Menu that Scribus is there like before. But clicking on it nothing appears.

That menu item is kind of a shortcut created by an installer. So the shortcut may be pointing to something that no longer exists.

The best way to test if scribus is installed is to start it from the command line.

Archibaldix

Quote from: a.l.e on September 19, 2020, 06:39:50 AM
well, all feel to be at the center of europe : - )
except those who feel forgotten at its borders.
I Respect this sentence thank you.

All my files are with 1.4.x scribus
Ok thanks for the App image info , I'll pay attention.
Thanks for the link to the tutorial for command lines, will be very helpfull.
Indeed loose Gimp is an scary prospect...

Here the result of the command line :
gvp@gvp-MacBookPro:~$ scribus
scribus: symbol lookup error: scribus: undefined symbol: _ZN12QApplication10commitDataER15QSessionManager

gvp@gvp-MacBookPro:~$ which scribus
/usr/bin/scribus

Thanks Nermander, with all this reply it's getting slowly clearer.
(...)
A.