rtl tabs and indentation

Previous topic - Next topic

Mghaleb

Hello,
In tabs and indentation the default direction is left and no other option shown, is there any solution to make it right, look at the image in attachment?
thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mghaleb

utnik

hi mghaleb

just put a tabstop where you need it (by clicking on the ruler). as long as this tabstop is selected (marked in red), you may configure it (set its orientation, its position, andselect a fill character, if needed).

utnik

a.l.e

while you wait, please have a short read

http://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,3681.msg17351.html#msg17351

in short: you need to define the tabs as if your text was LTR and it will behave correctly in RTL (but all rulers are wrong).

the question is: how should it work for RTL languages?
should we invert the content of the "widget"?
what should happen with the existing tabs, when one switches from LTR to RTL (and vice versa)?

if you or somebody you know can help with that maybe scribus can improve...
if you know somebody who could write a patch, that would be wonderful!

p.s.: what you are marking in your screenshot is just the setting if the tab itself will be a left or a right one.

a.l.e

btw, if somebody wants to help with the code:

here is a good place for starting: https://gitlab.com/scribus/scribus/-/blob/master/scribus/ui/hruler.cpp#L446

the first step would be to draw the ruler inverted when the user is in text edit mode...

a.l.e

i've checked in libreoffice. when the text is RTL:

- the marks are kept at the same coordinate, but from the right side
- the type of the tab does not change (a left tab is still a left tab but behaves like a right tab)
- the tab is drawn mirrored

and i could get scribus to correctly show the ruler on top of the page when the text is RTL...
(the feature was already there for mirrored text... but there is a bug to be fixed: the tabs are shown outside of the text frame... i'm working on it...)

Mghaleb

OK, thank you for helping.
(i've checked in libreoffice. when the text is RTL). Libreoffice have many rtl issues.
(if somebody wants to help with the code). I hope you find one or more.
If you put tabs you could turn it to right, but you should do it for every paragraph. It is not the correct way.
I am hoping that in someday scribus would be more like Adobe Indesgin, the rtl on it is optimum.