Text Playing Tricks on Me

Previous topic - Next topic

Ged

Hi. This is a strange problem and I cannot overcome it.   ???  After I save my file and reload it, the text replicates itself, sometimes several times over. A red cross appears indicating overflow so, I delete the duplicate text and save.  Then I close down and power up and (walla) the extra text is their again!  This keeps repeating whether using the 'edit frame' or the 'story editor.'

The only thing that I have done differently recently is to group the items in each page.  But I'm inclined to think there is a glitch somewhere.  Has anyone ever encountered this problem?  I really could do with some help here.
My first 'puter was a 286,
My first dtp was Aldus Pagemaker,
My first printer was a Little Squirt,
My first car was a motorbike.

a.l.e

there was such an issue in a past version of scribus.

which version are you using? can you update to a current version (in "branch" you're using...)

ciao
a.l.e

Ged

I am using 1.5.5.  I've tried fixing it in 1.5.5 and 1.5.4 but the problem persists.

RodneyLee

when you shut down Scribus does it ask you to save again? or are you leaving scribus open when you shut down your computer?

a.l.e

hi

finally, by picking the good keywords i could find the ticket:

https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=15946

the issue was related to a frame from a master page being linked to one on a normal page...

you might want to check that.

if it's not the cause, you're welcome to share a copy of your .sla and let us test.

a.l.e

Ged

Quote from: RodneyLee on June 08, 2020, 02:44:14 PM
when you shut down Scribus does it ask you to save again? or are you leaving scribus open when you shut down your computer?

I usually save, close, then shut down. 

Ged

Quote from: a.l.e on June 08, 2020, 03:35:19 PM
hi

the issue was related to a frame from a master page being linked to one on a normal page...

if it's not the cause, you're welcome to share a copy of your .sla and let us test.

a.l.e

Ah yes, there is such a page in my file.  Ill have a look and get back to you.

Ged

Quote from: a.l.e on June 08, 2020, 03:35:19 PM
hi

a.l.e

OK, Ive tried changing master pages, Ive tried ungrouping,  Ive tried unlinking. No joy; so I have to take you up on your kind offer.

Attached is an abbreviated file with the first 3 pages.  The overflow is on the bottom of page 3. The problem occurs a few times in my full file too, but if you tell me what to do on this example, I might learn how to attend to them in future.

Thanks a.I.e

[attachment deleted by admin]

AdmFubar

Checked your file and found many copies of that text appended to itself. I edited to just one iteration and saved the file.Reloaded several time, then closed scribus and reloaded the file again. All seems well with it. I'll attach the file here for you to try.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

Ged

Thanks for helping AdmFubar.

I put your edited file on to my Onedrive, opened it, and, as you say, it seemed well.  Then I did the following:

• ungrouped page 3
  • did a 'select all'
  • grouped page 3 again
  • saved file again
  • closed file and Scribus
  • opened file again
Then the problem returned. Only one extra copy this time.  Something to do with 'grouping'?  I like grouped pages because there is no 'lock pages' feature in Scribus so I like to group. Anyway the replication returned.

a.l.e

thanks ged that you posted the file and the steps for reproducing!

i will have a look at it.
a.l.e

a.l.e

sorry, i cannot replicate.

with both 1.5.5 and 1.5.6svn i don't see any text being replicated on page 3.

Ged

Ok, thanks for helping.  It may be my own computer, or something that Im doing.  Anyway, Ive ungrouped all my pages and that's fixed it for me.

Ged scratches head   ???

a.l.e

as you could read in the ticket, the problem is real and at least some versions of scribus are affected by it.

so, it's very likely that it is not your computer.

but it might be the kind of problem that depends very much on what you did in the past with your document. sometimes also with which version of scribus you worked.
the fact that you could replicate with the file you uploaded was very promising, sadly i could not see the same as you saw.

you might have not uploaded exactly the file you tested, you might have done some small actions you did not write down or, the behavior depends on some setting in your scribus (and, of course, it's almost impossible to track them down). who knows?
at some time you might be able to give instructions somebody else can replicate and -- with a bit of luck -- one of the main developer might then also be able to reproduce.

currently i see that the text frame contains lot of copies of the same text, but i can't tell how it got there.

if the issue still happens in your document, i would try to copy the useful parts of your document in a new document and see if that avoids the issue (first, you should remove the hidden part in your frame: edit > contents > truncate)

ciao
a.l.e

a.l.e

hi ged

somebody has submitted a ticket in the bug tracker and i can replicate with 1.5.5:

https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=16139

i think that you have to check if you have any chained text frames that are grouped...

if its the case, ungroup them and delete the multiplicated text (in the "content" sub menu there is a truncate command that will remove the "hidden" text)

i'm not 100% sure that it's the bug affecting you, but it might be it...

and from my quick test it seems to be fixed in the current development code.
i'll wait for the reporter to see if he/she can confirm it.

ciao
a.l.e