Can't type unicode characters at story editor ☹️☹️

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikail95

I am using xubuntu 20.04 and scribus 1.5.5
I need to type " sinhala" unicode characters at scribus. I can see previously typed (not with this system but linux mint19.3 scribus 1.5.5 appimage ) unicode text. but I can't type. When I   I type characters, they are shown in English characters. I don't think there is a problem input methods. As it works perfectly on libreoffice and gimp.
I tried changing language of document, change font at story editor, making a style and apply that, change display font at story editor etc
I can still add sinhala characters using glyph and copied text from libreoffice
Please help me

utnik

hi ikail95

are you sure that the used font contains those glyphs?
libreoffice may take missing characters from another font, but scribus doesn't cheat...

utnik

Ikail95

Yes. Glyph shows for the font. I can add the characters from glyph. But I can't type characters as they are. They are shown as English characters

a.l.e

And what happens when you type the characters in t he frame itself?

Ikail95

Thank you for replying  ;D

I have attached a image which contains all the observations I've made.

[attachment deleted by admin]

a.l.e

what is the reason for not typing the text in the frame, if it works correctly there?

Ikail95

a.l.e

sadly i don't know much about tamil fonts.
and i don't really know how to input tamil glyphs. but i'm confident that a current version of the development branch should manage it.

afaik scribus should work correctly with the abhaya libre font. i guess that we would know if they would not (iirc i easily got them to work with pathum four years ago...)
i have no idea if the un-abhaya fonts are also supposed to work, but i see no reason why they should not.

this having been said, a wild guess from my side: if you see english chars instead of the sinhala ones, it might simply be that you have not correctly configured the keyboard to use the sinhala mapping...
but it's just a guess, since i have no idea how your language can be typed on a keyboard (for my language we have a normal keyboard with a few additional chars here and there...)
but why can you type them in LO but not in scribus? no idea...

on top of downloading the fonts, did you do any configuration specific to sinhala on your ubuntu?