fat letters after pdf export

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonnie

Hi there everybody,

I'm a bit lost, because every time I export my pages (pdf), the pages show random fat letters in the exported pdf files afterwards. Is there anything I can change in the settings?
I know I can change settings in Adobe Reader, but I assume this is not the right way. Hopefully there is a good soluation!

Thanks for your help + all the best,
Julian

utnik

hi bonnie

could you show a test file? (.sla with some text, the used font and a .pdf file with those 'fat letters')

utnik

Bonnie

Hi there and thanks for your reply.
I've attached an extract of the document - not much to be seen, but if you open the pdf file and look at it with zoom on 50% you'll what I mean. The further you zoom in the lesser these fat letters will be visible.
Strange!

Best,
Julian

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi bonnie

with my high resolution screen (>220ppi) the effect doesn't really show at 50% but at 25% i can see it.
this is a rendering issue on low resolution devices.

the algorithm for font rendering is different from general shape rendering. if you embed (or subset) the fonts instead of converting to outlines, the problem should disappear. (at least it did when i exported your file...)
technically spoken, your .pdf file doesn't contain text – there are just ordinary vector shapes...

utnik

Bonnie

Hm, it does not really help over here.
Just to make sure I tick the right box - I have attached two pictures. I can change something in the "document settings" and I can change something while doing the export (although I cannot really drag the fonts to the right side, where they should be positioned to be embedded - they only appear in the field below, where it says "in Kurven umwandeln").

Anyway, this is only a thing which is visible on a computer screen, isn't it. If I send this document to a printing house, the letters will hopefully look just the way they should look.

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi bonnie

in scribus 1.4.8 this 'subset' (in german 'in kurven umwandeln') should not really do what it says. usually scribus creates a so called 'type 3' font with the used characters. (the newer scribus versions offer more options...)

but in your .pdf file there are no fonts at all.
did you ever export the file when the fonts have been listed in the lower field on the right side ('in kurven umwandeln')?

Quote from: Bonnie on April 24, 2020, 05:32:44 PM...this is only a thing which is visible on a computer screen, isn't it. If I send this document to a printing house, the letters will hopefully look just the way they should look.

yes, that's right. with the rip resolution from the print shop, the difference should barely be visible – if visible at all...

btw. there is a german scribus forum as well.

utnik

Nermander

Yes, the issue here is called "font hinting".

Some fonts do not have proper hinting, sometimes hinting can be lost during subsetting etc.

About halfway down in this article you will see examples of what you experience.
https://www.typotheque.com/articles/hinting