Scribus for a large book with pictures

Previous topic - Next topic

catindri

Hye

I am thinking to use Scribus to build a large book of biology, with small frames (not linked) and images. The book is made of short (10 pages) or longer (up to 30 pages) chapters that can be built apart; is it possible to merge them together from a master document, like  e.g. in Latex or libreoffice ? I did not find such a way, but ...?

If we work on small documents, how can we manage pages numbering ?

We made a test for one chapter, 10 pages, which  is already 100 Mo...and the images are not in the best resolution. It is why I ask this forum if Scribus is ok for such a project ?

Thanks a lot for your advices and remarks

cat

RodneyLee

I have done color small town phonebooks, Artist workbooks and full color kindle direct books (working on 2 more) 30 plus pages without a hitch so IMHO Scribus is great!, I use version 1.5.5

utnik

hi cat

if by 100 megabytes for 10 pages you're talking about the size of the .sla file, you are embedding your images. i would recommend to link to the images instead. (just to place them as normal...)

for the pagination you can define where the numbering should begin for each chapter ('file' → 'document setup' → 'sections'). unfortunately scribus has no master document function (like the book feature in indesign).

utnik

catindri

jack_cat

Quote from: catindri on April 09, 2020, 12:15:35 AM
short (10 pages) or longer (up to 30 pages) chapters that can be built apart; is it possible to merge them together from a master document

I build separate chapters, export them to PDF, and merge the PDF s with PDF software.

If we work on small documents, how can we manage pages numbering ?

In Scribus, you can go to the Preferences and set the page numbers to begin at the
appropriate number for that chapter.

We made a test for one chapter, 10 pages, which  is already 100 Mo...and the images are not in the best resolution. It is why I ask this forum if Scribus is ok for such a project ?

Like utnik said, the images shouldn't be in the file, just linked. The sla file should be pretty small, itself.
On the other hand, the PDF can get pretty big with a lot of full-res images.

However, there is this thing I read in this other post:
http://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,3645.0.html

and that is, .png images are linked to and the .sla file size stays small, BUT
if you use .svg images, they are embedded and the file size gets huge.
I have no idea why this is so; I just make the report.
(I use .png although I have been told that .svg is better for printing and I don't doubt it. )

jack