Template operation

Previous topic - Next topic

Nairo

Hello there,

I tried to find an answer to my question and I didn't.

I'm french graphic designer and I would like to use scribus instead indesign and I don't speack english very well.  :-X

I have to propose covers for magazine and I have to change background picture. Several elements of template on the covers don't move.

On Indesign, I can use the position layer's location but it doesn't work on scribus.

Do you know how can I do to change the picture without create a page (or template) per model ?

utnik

hi nairo

i don't know exactly what you try to do.
are you editing a template of wich you don't know how it's composed? (i. e. if some of the elements are defined on a master page...)
could you show a sample file and explain what you like to change?

utnik

Nairo

Hello utnik,

Here is 2 screenshots

On this picture, you can see the background picture : I have several images to test for my client to choose from.
I was thinking of making a template with the elements that don't change (title, etc.).
I put the background image on the page.
But when I do that, the background image appears above even when I send it at the bottom.

So if you have a solution for not to have 1 template = 1 page
I will be very grateful

utnik

hi nairo

all the stuff you like to see on top of your 'background' image is on a master page.
in scribus 1.4.? master page elements are always the lowest elements in the stack. in scribus 1.5.? you can create master pages with multiple layers. (i wrote a small tutorial about this feature a couple of years ago – but it's in german...)

now you have different possibilities:

• you may switch to scribus 1.5.5 (or 1.5.6.svn) and place the main content on the top layer of a multi layered master page and your background images on a lower layer of the document pages.
  • you stay with scribus 1.4.? and place the main content on the top layer of a document page and all the different background images on different lower layers and then export different .pdf files, each of them with one of those image layers activated.
  • you select all the stuff on the master page and send it to the scrapbook. after that you can add all of it to an active page by a double click on the scrapbook entry. on a layer on top of your image layer, if you like.
there may be other solutions, but that's what crosses my mind at the moment...

utnik

Nairo

Ok !

I can't install 1.5 for the moment, I'm on Debian 9.8 and my partner doesn't want to change (he told me "we don't change something that works" lol).

So I'll try your solution for 1.4

Thank you very much for your answer and the time you spent for helping me.

RodneyLee

you can install both 1.4 and 1.5.5, you can also change images easy with "get image"

Nairo

I've finally convince my partner to install  1.5 and that works  ;D
He doesn't like because I'm on stable and it's the development version.

I'm discovering, I'm really newbee on scribus.

The "get image" works with the script ?
I don't know if it's appropriate because I don't know how it works.
I need to see the rendered with the background picture.

utnik

hi nairo

Quote from: Nairo on April 08, 2020, 06:04:49 PM
I've finally convince my partner to install 1.5 and that works...

you'll like it! but keep always a 1.4 copy of the files you created in scribus 1.4, as you can't go back to 1.4 after editing a document with scribus 1.5!
QuoteThe "get image" works with the script ?
I don't know if it's appropriate because I don't know how it works.

...should work, but if you just need a couple of background image versions it won't save you time... (but as i almost never use the scripter, i might be wrong...)

utnik

Nairo

Hello utnik,

You're right ! I love it ! The 1.5 is a great experience.

Quote from: utnik on April 08, 2020, 06:31:01 PM
you'll like it! but keep always a 1.4 copy of the files you created in scribus 1.4, as you can't go back to 1.4 after editing a document with scribus 1.5!

Yes, that was I've done, just in case of...  ;)